Coyotes around Phoenix?

grit

My sister recently moved to Phoenix. We'll be visiting soon. I was wondering if there was a good population of coyotes nearby. Guessing there is.

i don't live around there but i'd bet you wouldnt have to look to hard to find some the indians had a saying that when the world ends the last two things on it would be a mesquite tree with a coyote sitting under it

[ QUOTE ]
My sister recently moved to Phoenix. We'll be visiting soon. I was wondering if there was a good population of coyotes nearby. Guessing there is.

[/ QUOTE ]
grit,
Both of my kid's live in the Phoenix area so I venture south from Utah quite often. Phoenix is so big and so spread out you have to get a long ways out to try coyote hunting. plus Arizona has more coyote hunter's than even Utah has. on top of that Arizona has more square miles of Indian reservation than any other state in the country. there are coyotes but not as easy to hunt as you might think.
UB

having shot nearly 250 here i can say it is a lot harder now than 20 years ago. coyotes live all over arizona; wherever there is a good prey base. they can even be seen quite frequently near country clubs and golf courses on the edge of the desert. there is no closed season and you do need a license. roninflag

UncleB,
I live in Santaquin. I've found quite a few dogs nearby. But, they have more education than I do! Can Arizona really be tougher? I usually go to Nevada. I spent Thanksgiving in Reno. I shot several coyotes while we were out and about. They seemed to pose for proper bullet placement. Not like here!

Ron,
Haven't tried sets at the golf course. Good idea!

I spent the last 5 days on the Arizona strip working on some guns in the sun and warm temps and I had coyotes barking and howling at me each night despite firing over 500 rounds throughout the trip! They seemed to be ****ed I was camped in their favorite hunting ground or something. One night, I was cleaning a gun on the end of my tailgate and had a coyote bark at me from probably less than 200 yards away. They seemed pretty brave down there.

I would have probably tried to kill a few but I didn't have a license for Arizona. You can buy a 3 day license for $65 if I remember correctly for a non-resident. If you want a season license, you have to buy a full pop license like you would for deer or any big game. Arizona needs to change that. Coyotes are not supposed to be protected animals for crying out loud.

the coyotes are usualy transporting wetbacks to get all the benifits of the USA!!!

I have lived in and hunted around Phoenix & AZ most of my life. It's pretty tough to find an uneducated coyote close to Phoenix, except for those that live in town and have never been shot at. Phoenix has over 3 Million people, so you can imagine the kind of hunting pressure put on coyotes that live within easy driving distance. All big game, and some small game animals are draw only hunts in AZ, so coyotes become the only game in town for those of us who don't get drawn year after year. Plan on driving out of Phx at least 1-2 hours before turning off-road. There are several varmint clubs in the Phx area, so try contacting a club member in Phx area and they may point you in the right direction.

[ QUOTE ]
You missed all the snow GG.

[/ QUOTE ]

That was the idea! I was cleaning guns in my t-shirt. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
Look how nice it was:
viewofrange-1.jpg

gear.jpg

myoffice.jpg

While were just killing time here, why don't you eplain how you use that reloading stand. Do you C-clamp it to something or does it bolt to something?

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts