Coyote recipes

woodcr24

Yes, you read that right: coyote RECIPES. We have an abundance of them locally (and fox as well, for that matter), they pester and kill our livestock, and this evening over dinner my wife told me that any coyote that I shoot ought to be butchered and consumed by us. Now keep this in mind: we are hardcore food enthusiasts, we are not squeamish about what we eat, my wife is an exceptional chef, and we know about the potential health issues involved with consuming a carnivore. In case you are interested, they will be dispatched with a .264 Barnes 100-grain TTSX.

So the question that I have for members who have eaten coyote: would you care to share your favorite recipes?

I will be learning to preserve hides this year, it seems. I've always wanted to tie salmon and steelhead flies with fox and coyote fur.

Thanks! :)

These are recipes that you have tried? I performed a search and came up with the same results.

Yes, you read that right: coyote RECIPES. We have an abundance of them locally (and fox as well, for that matter), they pester and kill our livestock, and this evening over dinner my wife told me that any coyote that I shoot ought to be butchered and consumed by us. Now keep this in mind: we are hardcore food enthusiasts, we are not squeamish about what we eat, my wife is an exceptional chef, and we know about the potential health issues involved with consuming a carnivore. In case you are interested, they will be dispatched with a .264 Barnes 100-grain TTSX.

So the question that I have for members who have eaten coyote: would you care to share your favorite recipes?

I will be learning to preserve hides this year, it seems. I've always wanted to tie salmon and steelhead flies with fox and coyote fur.

Thanks! :)
I can recommend that you DON'T try Steve Rinella's recipe that he demonstrated on a Meat Eater episode last year....cooked it hair on! Didn't taste like chicken. That being said, I read some of the posts that had links on them and it didn't sound bad...just don't think it will be on the table unless the SHTF and there was nothing else to be had. And this from a guy who cooked a frog on an unrolled pop can over a fire when I forgot my pan one evening! LOL!

I've ate some weird stuf, but never a coyote. I just consider them as free nitrogen for my pastures. But, I'm a fan of getting the most from everything. Let us know how it goes.

Last edited:
You could look up Korean recipes where they use dog. When I was stationed in Korea one of my Katusa's took me to his family on Chosak holiday. They had a few different dishes that dog in them. They were both very delicious.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bosintang

That's one of the dishes I tried. The other dish was kind of a bbq style in a sweet teriyaki type sauce. I thought dog tasted very good.

Not sure if I could eat coyote, unless I didn't know that it was when eating it. This coming from a guy who will drive 100 miles just for a meal of bear meat.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts