Coyote Pelt Saver

Precision_Game_85

Hey everyone...

My first actual post here...

I've decided to get into the long range hunting game and I recently moved to northern california. I'd like to get into coyote hunting "always wanted to" and I'm thinking of trying in the desert south for them first. This brings me to my question- I'm hunting for pelts and I'm unsure of which caliber to base my next rifle on "probably a custom job." I know that it depends largely on terminal ballistics and isn't totally dependent on caliber, but I'd like an opinion on the highest caliber that would work well for this work. I realize that I may be calling them in to about 150 yards, but I would also like to be able to reach out to about 600 yards "all without destroying the pelt" if a target of opportunity presents itself. gun)
Thanks in advance for your help!

Jerry,

P.S. I will be reloading so it can be a wildcat if anyone thinks of one.

I posted this info on another thread but basicly if you want LR/high BC and fur friendly, it's a hard bill to fill. An alternative is to find a LR load that will shoot to the same POI as your fur load. For instance, my son shoots 58 grain V-maxes from his .243AI when calling but always carries some 105 A-maxes for LR opprotunities. The 58's are pretty fur friendly (no exit) and the 105's reach out there when needed. It's not perfect but it works. There are heavier constructed bullets than the A-max which woulld probably tear up less fur if you can find one that works for your rifle. Our .243AI's are eight twist and they will shoot both. I'm not sure of higher caliber bullets that are considered fur friendly (won't exit). Maybe some one else has some experience with them.

The same thing can be accomplished with a fast twist .22 caliber using VLD's and the 60 grain V-max at calling ranges.

Real tough to get what you want. I have bought several different rifles over the years looking for the ultimate fur rifle.

How important is the fur to you? Personally i feel that the 22-250 is the best all around coyote cartridge out there. With the proper bullet, damage is on par with any other cartridge out there ie. 17's and 20 cals. but has noticably more horsepower behind it. Something like a 50 grain berger bullet will give excellent results from in close out to 400 yards of so.

With the low fur prices I am currently using a 55 b-tip as I feel it offers a wider range of shot selection.

If you want to shoot the bigger cartridges and save the fur it would be wise to learn how to sew.

albert

I'm assuming you're gonna be using something from the 22's with VLD's, on up to 6.5's maybe? U'll never find the perfect long-range bullet that doesn't tear up fur some. The best i ever found were the 6mm 85 Sierra Gamekings, and the 22 60 grain hollow points from Sierra and Hornady. This is the predator hunter/shooters big quandary---the short- and long-range fur bullet. Be sure and get some needles and thread. You're gonna need it, no matter how you slice it.

I'm assuming you're gonna be using something from the 22's with VLD's, on up to 6.5's maybe? U'll never find the perfect long-range bullet that doesn't tear up fur some. The best i ever found were the 6mm 85 Sierra Gamekings, and the 22 60 grain hollow points from Sierra and Hornady. This is the predator hunter/shooters big quandary---the short- and long-range fur bullet. Be sure and get some needles and thread. You're gonna need it, no matter how you slice it.

haha...I kinda arrived at this conclusion..I decided on the 260 Rem so I can use it for deer and antelope too...I'm just going to use a barnes triple shock x tipped "they don't open up too much." I know it will exit, but my hope is that it will exit only about 1.3-1.4 times the entrance wound...Should work in theory, since I'll be using it in wide open areas...The velocity drop over long range should make it act more like a solid, but still expand enough to ensure a quick death...I guess we'll see how it goes...

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.