Coyote hunting tips

Try Coyote Hunting in fresh cut hay fields or in fields that have just been brush hogged,the Coyotes will be out looking for an easy meal and sometime will even follow behind the Tractor!

A cheap and effect Decoy is a simple Feather Distractor,You can buy one from Hunters Specialties or make Your own by tying a feather on a dowel rod from a thin thread or fishing line or even just tying it on an over hanging tree limb...it will catch the attention of Coyotes,Bobcats and other Predators by fluttering in the wind plus it will show You which direction the winds blowing!

Even Tho You may be using an Electronic Caller....always keep a few favorite mouth calls in Your pockets in case some thing goes wrong with the Caller or the batteries die on You.Using Mouth Calls in conjunction with an E-Caller adds to realism or along with a Calling Partner.

Keep a Mouse Squeaker in Your shirt or Coat pocket for coaxing in close Predators or simply use Your mouth and Lip Squeak! ;)

Road kill works great for a decoy. Squirrel or rabbit get two. Put one on a stick high enough they can see it. Use the tail of the other. Tie fishing line to it and then to another stick. once again high enough so the wind will move it and the coyotes can see it. Put these in freezer bags and keep them in the freezer. Take out the night before. Rotate often.

The lens in the human eye blocks UV light. Most animals,fish,and birds do not have this. This helps them hunt and strut to find mates. For example it helps the Coyote trail it's field mouse prey as urine glows. Wash your clothing in a detergent that prevents UV.

Got another great tip. This one from Les. PATIENCE. When you shoot a coyote play or blow the KI-YI. Wait five minutes. Repeat this for about fifteen minutes. Often another coyote will sneak in looking for its mate.

spot, stalk and call. find a high point and glass, once you spot one, or a pack sneak in and then call. works really well in my area I can cover 5-6 sq miles from some of the high points I've found. and when theres snow you can cover that 5sq miles in a very short time and move on rather than waste time just blindly calling. I just figured this out last winter and went from wondering where the coyotes always were to see half a dozen in a morning. being able to watch them from way back really helped me pattern them also.

Just starting to hunt 'yotes....Looks like most of these tips are geared towards daytime hunts where shots will be taken from 100+ yards. What kind of tips for hunting these buggers in the woods at night with shots taken less than 100?

No doubt the number one tip for night hunting would be a good thermal. If legal. If not a good light. I like Wicked Lights. Their Head light is without equal. The best buy in a light is the Stanley Fat Max with a red lens at Walmart $49. I have had good luck in the open or semi open at night using the same daytime techniques. In close quarters I research my stand locations in advance. Making sure I can approach and get into position as quietly as possible. Make sure the wind is right for your chosen stand. I also use new sounds and call softer. Don't forget the shotgun. Check out the shotgun ammo choke test thread. I am glad you brought the "woods" up. No doubt it's tough. I hope others jump in and help. Thanks.

Concentrate on your shot. If you take the winter hair off of a coyote, they are not a very big target. I have personally missed and seen a many coyotes missed because the shot was rushed and was just shooting at hair. A coyote that is shot at at and missed becomes an "educated" coyote. They become very difficult to call or get a shot at once they are educated. If you call in multiple coyotes pay attention as to the route they came in on and have patience. most of the time one or two coyotes will hang back and let the others go in to investigate. Always shoot one that is the farthest away first and 9 times out of ten the closer coyotes will take the same route leaving as they came in on. I have shot many doubles doing this. Last, like someone said earlier, don't get discouraged. I've went several times and not call anything and then all of the sudden start calling them in on every stand. Good luck!