Coyote Hunting, A Predatorial Series #1 - "Basic Behavior" By Greg Ballard

Electronic failed again

Greg,

It is funny about how you were talking about electronic calls failing. Last night right at EENT i had three dogs speaking to me with challenge and barks. Right as i had one come out of the canyon and he crested the Knoll 800 yards away i could not get my FX5 to work. Charged the batteries night before last and well they went dead. I could not take the shot with accuracy so i just sat there and glasses the dog, As he started to look behind him at the Yote bringing up his rear.

Two dogs are now staring in my direction and all i can do is watch. So it basicaly was a turning point for me last night. I need to find and learn how to use a handheld other then my Hot Dog which has worked great, but i need to stop relying on the Electronic call.

Well Greg keep the info comming and thanks again for a great article.

Ken

I am just getting in to coyote hunting. Most sites I have looked at have articles for people already hunting. I love the way you have started with the basics and plan to read the whole series. Great writer.:

Thanks for the comments and good to see that this is still helping people. I am still trying to hunt as much as ever, but just haven't been taking the time to do any writing. I did get the time a couple weeks ago to take a border patrol agent on his first coyote hunt and he had also read these articles before the hunting and then got to see that I actually really do employ all these tactics live. We called in 14 coyotes in two days and he shot at 7 of those coyotes and killed 6. A good time.

Greg

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.