Coyote guns zeroing questions

cougartracks

So I switch between a few rifles that I take coyote hunting. I am usually hunting in area where my shots will range from 100-400 yards. I shoot an 18" Larue Tactical .223 that I shoot 50 grain Vmax out of, a Remington 600 in .243 that I shoot 70 gr Speer TNT out of, and a Remington BDL 22-250 that I need to start load development on, I will be using either 50 or 55 gr Vmax, whichever I can get to group better.

I have traditionally used a 100 yard zero but I have started to play with the idea of having a longer zero and less of a hold over. Maybe a 200 yard zero and be a little high at 100 yds and just a few inches of drop at 300.

Any suggestions or advice? Thanks in advance.

When calling coyotes i usually sight in for about 225 yards, must faster and easier than having to use a rangfinder, pretty much hold dead on for a fast snap shot out to 250. Then range and dial if one hangs up way out there

If you create a ballistic table for each gun, you can select max point blank range and use that to zero your rifle. It sets your zero range for plus/minus 3" at a given distance for a particular load.
Personally I use 200yd zeroes on my lr guns, just used to it

Cougartracks ,
You can go to WWW.Gseven.com , the Gunwerks website and use their provided ballistic calculator , FREE , by setting up a user login . Using their library of bullets , which provides the manufacturers published ballistic coefficients , you can run ballistics charts on any firearm that you choose .

Using your Larue Tactical AR-15 , shooting 50 gr. V-max bullets , B.C.= .252 , at 3100fps [ just as an example , actual MV may be faster or slower ] , with your scope mounting height centerline at 2.25" above centerline of bore [ most AR-15 scopes are mounted close to this height above the bore ] , select your zero range . I have chosen a 225 yard zero as an example and an elevation of 2000' above sea level for my altitude .

Results are as follows , at 25 yard intervals :
25 Yards = -0.9" below sight line
50 Yards = +0.3" above "" ""
75 Yards = +1.2" above "" ""
100Yards = +1.8" above "" ""
125Yards = +2.1" above '' ''
150Yards = +2.1" above '' ''
175Yards = +1.8" above " "
200Yards = +1.1" above " "
225Yards = 0
250Yards = -1.5" below " "

So , you could use a dead-on hold from 0 yards out to 250 yards and NEVER be more than 2.25 inches below or above your line-of-sight . Unless you are aiming for a coyote's eyeball or the " Texas Heart Shot " , you should be in the kill-zone .

DMP25-06

Ballistic charts are great. They give us information under perfect conditions. We need to adjust for real world in the field conditions. For example my rifle shooting in the sitting position on uneven terrain will shoot 2 moa at 100 when I do my part. This is rifle error plus shooter error. Now add this 2" to your chart and you will see why I like to site in at 100. Another thing to consider is there a chance an even smaller target may come in, bobcat or fox.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts