Coyote/Deer dumped in river

Does anyone have acess to a trail camera they could set up. The dumpers will eventually use that location again.

killahog, nice idea but it could be a long long time if ever and I don't think the batteries may last but, who knows?

I am a rookie when it comes to using trail cameras However last year I bought one of bushnell's 5.0 megapixel trophy cam. THey claim the AA batteries will last up to one year. I used mine from november thru january and never had to replace them. I am going to order anothe one this week.

I use the trail camera's to help locate a deer in my hunting area that is worthy of chasing, and then to attempt to figure out there movements.

killahog, has it helped, were you able to get on to one with any success? I'd imagine it picks up just about anything that comes around assuming the cameras set off by motion...are they?

I would think who ever dumped the deer is the same person who dumped the coyotes is a pretty good hunter and lives near by. Not cool to contaminate water soources. May be the jerk never thought of the seriousness of it . Put up sign .

From what I see and read, the part I dont like is the waste and dumping of numerous carcases in a stream. I dont know SD game laws so I'll try not to comment on that.

I have no lost love for coyotes and if they are killed, I dont care if it's a gun or a snowmobile, as long as it is legal. To me, there is nothing more morally wrong in running down a coyote wth a snow mobile than a coyote running down a sheep or calf. IMO, running down a preditor is more "humane" than said preditor(s) running down their game and ripping it apart while it still breaths and struggles. I have a neighbor who lost 30 sheep in one night to a pack of coyotes, so you will see no tears shed from me when I hear about coyotes dying by whatever means. what I dont like about it is wasting them if their hides are worth something, but not really a big deal to me. The biggest deal is the pollution of the stream and the impression it leaves on some toward hunters in general. Kill the coyotes... kill them legal... use their hides if practicle... and dont leave piles of them in view of the general public.

I have never hunted coyote and I don't live in an area where they are a problem. All of what MontanaRifleman wrote above sounds fine to me, but it does raise some questions to a guy like me.

1) Just so I understand, my understanding is that people hunt coyotes for sport or to save their livestock. The pelts aren't worth much and you don't eat them. What ARE you supposed to do with the carcass after a kill? Put it in a garbage bag? Bury it? (I buried my dog a few years back--a LOT of work just for a coyote.)

2) This is an awful and annoying sight that will turn the public against hunting. But ultimately, the real problem is dumping the bodies in a stream. If they were piled up in an open field that would take care of the environmental problem, but the spectacle is roughly the same to a passersby. Does that mean that we are just trying to hide the truth of the matter--that coyotes are usually killed just for the sport of it.

3) In an area that does not have a livestock problem with coyotes, does it still make sense to kill them just for sport? I really don't care personally, but I feel like I have to eat what I kill (or give the meat away) to justify the kill. That might be a stupid way of looking at it, but that's just me.

Just to be clear, I'm not some anti-hunting guy and I don't care if people just hunt coyotes for sport. I also think whomever did this is likely a complete idiot. But in the end, aren't we always left with a pile of carcasses we have to put somewhere?

JDouglasJ,

To answer your question about disposal...........see hunting/coyote hunting/carcass disposal, on this site. I don't know how to post a link, or I would do that.

It is much better to leave the coyote where/near where they died, then polute our resources and aggrivate the public with gross display of carnage. My opinion is that the deer carcass dumping is just as much , if not more aggrivating to the public than the coyotes are; at least the coyotes still have their skin on!! Bambi without his skin is probably more abrasive to the general public than Wiley Coyote/Big Bad Wolf is. Regarldless, neither one belongs where whey were dumped at.

Coyote numbers need to be kept "in check" in alot of areas, not just where they are causing problems. If they are suddenly causing problems in one particular area, it's because they have over populated in another area and have expanded their territory.

People who are paid professionally to take coyotes don't/can't just take the animals where they are causing problems.............they have to take them in surrounding areas too (den pockets, pup raising areas, heavy traffic areas, prey migration/habitat areas, ect.) When I was hunting coyotes professionally, the landowners didn't want to see the coyotes (dead or alive)..........much less hanging on a fence or decomposing by a gate/road, or any other visible spot!!

A creek/river running under a bridge, on/under a public road has got to top the cake.? I would have taken the effort to scatter them in the brush, rather than make a public spectacle.

Something similar happened here a few years back, a guy here in town found 4 deer and some coyotes dumped off the side of the road. He called FAG and they informed him that was the site where the county dumped all the roadkill collected from that highway.

Doesn't seem to be too good an idea to dump a pile of roadkill on the side of the road unless it's out in the middle of nowhere. I remember in one county in a state I used to live in would incinerate roadkill.

Why?

It is in the middle of nowhere, and it's far enough off the road to not cause problems. Last year they asked my friend if they could dump on his land and he said yes (so he could carcass hunt). But they have yet to take any there. A guy I work with will pick up the roadkill and throw it in our boneyard for that purpose too. We all do our part.
:D

If it's far enough off the road and in the middle of nowhere then I guess it's ok. What came to my mind was a pile of Bambi carcasses piled up on I-95 south as Mr. and Mrs. John Smith with there kids go by on their way to Disney...Not exactly what I'd want the tourist to see. IMHO it really depends on where they're dumped.

Yeah they weren't really visible from the road. I think the only way they could be found is if someone got out to pee. Or saw the ravens and magpies and got nosey.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.