Coyote 243 Bullet Choice

I have shot numerous game animals with the BT with very destructive performance. I will not use them on anything I am goiny to eat. Too much collateral damage and copper shards. In my 243 I had dissapointing results and went back to the standard 100gr remington. I find them hard to beat in most 243 rifles as well as my 15" TC encore due to barrel twist rates . That would be the bullet I recommend.
JM2CW

Albeit deficient in the BC category, the Sierra 85 grain HPBT Gameking is quite a killer. I have only shot one coyote with it so far and it roughed him up pretty bad. More literally it scattered him all over the hill side. It looked like a prairie dog shot with a .22-250.

It would not be a great long range bullet, but would surely put them down at calling ranges. Just skip this one if you keep fur.

(FWIW I am shooting them out of a 6mm284)

I have some 70 grain TNT's worked up for testing. Hopefully they will do the trick if I can keep them under 3500 fps.

Well if you are going to keep the pelts than i would use something that would not distroy it like a hollow point or a match bullet. Matchking or Berger. If you dont care then a ballistic tip would be fine. I would go with the heavier bullets though to help in the wind. JMO

Albeit deficient in the BC category, the Sierra 85 grain HPBT Gameking is quite a killer. I have only shot one coyote with it so far and it roughed him up pretty bad. More literally it scattered him all over the hill side. It looked like a prairie dog shot with a .22-250.

It would not be a great long range bullet, but would surely put them down at calling ranges. Just skip this one if you keep fur.

(FWIW I am shooting them out of a 6mm284)

I have some 70 grain TNT's worked up for testing. Hopefully they will do the trick if I can keep them under 3500 fps.

Well, as the old hackneyed cliche goes, "At least he didn't suffer."

How about 105s? Like the VLD or A-max....

105VLD penetrates elk shoulder bones and still reaches the vitals, so not sure what to expect on smaller critter(deer, yote, chipmunk).

A-max are generally explosive(but not like the v-max) so one would think A-MAX would do well on yotes.

These are definitely ultra long range bullets for the 6mm class.

What load are you running the 75 v-max with and how destructive is it?
39gns of Varget with a mollied bullet. I see 3350ish in winter temps(below 10 degrees F)
If you have a 10twist The only thing I have used that shoots well is the 100 spbt hornady. I haven't tried the 95 berger or Serria which have a pretty good BC.
For a gun my best load is the hornady light magnum load. In my 26" barrel I'm at 3145fps. 2 weeks ago at 660yds on paper this load went into 21/2" with 3/4 vertical. My 70gn blitzking load 3550ish was 2 inches lower and under an 1" both were 3 shot groups temp was 5 with no wind. Shooting at a box with a 4" square for a hold.
The vel. wasn't cronyied because of a mishap awhile ago, but this has been what I have seen many times previously in like conditions

I'm running 38.7 grns Varget, seated 15 off the lands. Shoots bugholes if I do my part. Out of 26" barrel with 9.25 twist. Don"t have a chrony so don't know velocity for sure, but it does tear them up pretty bad depending on the hit. Not to worried about pelts though. Good luck.:)

I coyote hunt a lot. I use 87gr Hornaday V-max. I get 5/8" groups with it. I've tried the Winchester 100gr and the best I can get with them is 1" groups

WOW that's great. What type of gun? 'd love to get groups like that. I need to get into reloading again.

I do hunt coyotes at 400-500 yards with the 243wssm.

I hunt deer with a 300 win mag. Best I can do at 300 yards is 2.75" pattern. I just sold a rem700 in 300 and its best was 18" at 800 yards. Have a new sniper version now. Does much better.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts