Coyote 243 Bullet Choice

aglass1987

Im new to coyote hunting, but I been varmint hunting for several years now. The longest kill on a groundhog was right under 400 yards. The places i got to coyote hunt this year offer shots a little over 600 yards. I bought a remington sps varmint in 243. I replaced the factory stock with a HS Prescision Varmint stock and got the trigger adjust down to 2 pounds which is very crisp and does indeed break like glass. I have it topped with a bushnell banner 6-24 and leupold rings. I was wondering what bullet choice would be good for coyotes at longer ranges. Im a big fan of sierra blitzkings and would like to give the Nosler BTs a try. I was thinking of using the 70grs in either one. But i would like to hear opinions on my set up and bullet choice. Im open for all opinions on bullet choice. Do coyote hunters prefer velocity on just energy because I hear alot of coyote hunters use the higher weight bullets with slower velocities. The reason i thought about the 70grs in because my velocity would be around 3400fps. Any ideas or opinions is appreciated.

There're a lot of good intermediate polymer-tipped bullet choices (500-600 yds.) for that setup, but the 87 V-Max is a standout with a BC of ~.4. That is the bullet i have tried to get to shoot out of 2 24's, but so far haven't had any luck. This is a 6 AI and has made several 1-shot kills between 4-500 yds. using the 87 Hornady BTHP--
img002.jpg

The 70 grn load at 3400' / sec. should have a similar trajectory as my 22-250 thats shooting 55 grn Bergers at 3750' / sec. You would have the wind advantage however, probably 8-10 inches less drift at 500 yds (10mph wind).

I've shot literally 100's of coyotes (a couple out as far as 600 yds) with the fast 22's. If the shot was in the vitals, the coyote died pretty quickly. The 70 grn load you're thinking of should work wonderfully as long as it shoots well in your rifle. I've heard that .243's can sometimes be picky about the loads they'll shoot well.??

Good Luck Hunting.

Last edited:
The Nosler Ballistic Tip in a 243 suck!!!!! I have shot several coyotes a little forward and hit the shoulder, zero penetration just splash wounds knocking them of there feet but then they try to three leg it out of the country and need a second hit. I shot a couple badgers that took 3 or more hits before getting enough penetration to kill it.
I have not shot a BT since, absolutely worthless bullet IMHO :rolleyes:
The V-max is awesome for coyote control and is my usual varmint bullet out of the 22-250 or 243. Going to buy some Bergers tomorrow to see how the do.

The Nosler Ballistic Tip in a 243 suck!!!!! I have shot several coyotes a little forward and hit the shoulder, zero penetration just splash wounds knocking them of there feet but then they try to three leg it out of the country and need a second hit. I shot a couple badgers that took 3 or more hits before getting enough penetration to kill it.
I have not shot a BT since, absolutely worthless bullet IMHO :rolleyes:
The V-max is awesome for coyote control and is my usual varmint bullet out of the 22-250 or 243. Going to buy some Bergers tomorrow to see how the do.

Wow, that is suprising to me. Sounds like something nosler needs to hear about and fix!! Just out of curiosity bigngreen, how close were you too the dogs and badgers that needed additional shots??

I use nosler BT'S in several of my rifles, according to nosler they are a long range hunting bullet, I cant recall the exact muzzel vel. but I was told by nosler customer service via email that at short range traveling fast they have been know to break apart " explode on impact" because they are designed for long range. you might want to email them and tell them your rifle, bullet combination and see what they say. for some reason 2500 fps comes to mind.

I shot 2 bucks, one spike and 1 button buck this year plus a cyote with my ruger 77 mk 2. in 270wsm using 140 gr. bt's. all three shots were within 150 yards. they yote was approx. 120, and he fell over, didnt even move. the first buck was at 60yrds and he ran about 20 yards. it was a thrue and thrue shot right behind the shoulder. the 7 pointer was a 30 yd shot into the shoulder the bullet didnt exit but the buck only traveled 10 yrds. IMHO BT's are a great bullet. Ive never had a failure with that combo.

again just my 2 cents.

Shots were from 25yrds to around 250, 300yrds. I really dislike the BT's function on game, splash wounding and just messing things up. I have heard they improved the design but I had so many problems with them I won't give them any air time for game. They are a very accurate and nice to shoot. This is just what I have had happen, some swear by them. I should try them again and not be closed to them, I did try the Bergers for hunting and they were very impresive on game.

good to know about the bergers performance, I have a box of 115's. looking forward to see how they shoot out of my new rig.
1223091811.jpg

I have used the 55-grain Nosler Ballistic Tips for coyotes in my .22-250. They do not penetrate as well as I feel they should, but they do get the job done. The BT is great for ground squirrels (absolutely disintegrates them) and Praire Dogs, but I would opt for a more penetrating bullet for coyotes, and would stay away from BTs if saving pelts is important. The BT is meant to fragment more than the other Nosler bullets and does so at impact, rather than staying together for optimum penetration. I am speaking from my experience only; Nosler or others might disagree. I have loaded some Nosler Accubonds, but have not tried them out.

Also, I feel that the Sierra bullets would be worth a try, but again, I have not reloaded Sierras for the .22-250. The Sierra bulletsmiths always have been a lot of help. Call them on the phone.

I've done alot of prairie dog shooting, hand loading for all of it. Using 223 / 22-250, 40gr NBT works great. Shot two coyotes with a 22-250 using a 40gr NBT. This bullet is too lite, it explodes on the surface.
Bought two DPMS rifles a LR243 & 243L. I use 70gr NBT in both. Shot a porcupine at 330 yards with the LR243 ( 20" barrel ) one shot no exit wound. Also shot a coyote at 165 yards ( just behind the shoulder ) large exit wound. The porcupine fell out of the tree and the coyote dropped in his tracks. I think it's the perfect coyote bullet. The DPMS can shoot one inch at 300 yards, it's the most accurate rifle I've used. My DPMS 243L has a 18" barrel, it's a great rifle also, & it likes the 70gr NBT.
Haven't shot many coyotes but this 70gr NBT seems to be the way to go. I use Varget powder. Any input?​

if it were me i would try the Bergers. They work great on game just make sure you have the right twist. 90 or 95 grain will work great. I would not mess with anything under 85 grains because if you have to make a 600 yard shot those can be pushed around too easily. Also i have had good success with the 87 Grain Hornady V-max. My choice would be the Bergers though.

I use the Nosler Ballistic Tip almost exclusively for hunting and quiet a bit of target shooting. I have no qualm with their performance on game or targets. Their stunning acccuracy, (.1-.3) in my rifles, provides me with the confidence I need to make pin point accurate hits. The Sierra Match Kings are a close second with regards to accuracy. I have bought quiet a few Hornady bullets over the past 25yrs and have yet to have a V-max in any caliber provide the accuracy that a Ballistic Tip will. The tighest I ever got the 87gn V-Max to group was .4". Everybodies mileage varies though, and the required accuracy is subjective.
The Bergers, well I got the 115gn (.257) to shoot fantasticly in my .25-06 Sendero but could not get the 168gn (.284) to shoot under a 1/2" in my 700P 7Mag, with several combinations.
If I were to set my .243 up for coyotes I would reload the 90-95gn Ballistic Tip. Either of these can be pushed to 3100+fps and will provide the accuracy and knock down needed to connect and kill coyotes at 600-700 yds. I currently am shooting the 95gn ahead of 44.0gn of VihtaVuori N560 with a BR2 primer. This combo allows me to make consistent hits on targets and game out to 600yds easily (almost boringly). Give it a whirl, you won't be dissatisfied, I don't believe. JohnnyK.

At least it is good to know that DPMS offers the rifle in .243 caliber. Problem is that the goo-goos in California have voted into office such people As Arnie Schwartzenegger, who seems to have no problems signing legislation outlawing "assault rifles" (whatever that is) in the state; as such, I am unable to purchase or even own one and will have to go to something like a Savage bolt-action or Browning BAR (if I want semi-automatic) in .243. Arnie even okayed "microetching" recently; we are trying to get the law overturned, but we have to put with the misinformation spewed out by the national media, so we are at a real disadvantage. If a lie is repeated long enough, California lawmakers eventually regard it as "truth." These laws do nothing to slow down gun-related crime. Sorry to get political, but this is the reality.

Last edited:
I'm shooting under 400 yds for 99.9% of my dog hunting I have both the 70 blitz and 75 flatbase vmax hp loaded up with varget. I'm at 3520fps. Both bullets have been mollied. I find that the vmax kills better but like others not extreme in the accuracy department.
I've shot them from 15' to 545yds with the blitz king load. If it exits you got some sewing to do. I prefer to shoot when they are coming in rather than stopping them. This usually means a frontal chest shot no exit.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts