Cow elk vitals area size

bman73

I am going on my first elk hunt in a few weeks and am also hoping to get get my first long range kill under my belt on this trip, well okay long range to me anyways. I know that true long range stuff is still beyond my abilities for now but am hoping to start to push it out there. What I am needing to know in order to set my max range shot that I am going to allow myself to take is roughly how big is the kill zone on an average cow elk? I have been hunting most of my life but up to this point it has been mostly moose with the odd deer and occasional black bear thrown in for good measure. I will be using my 110 BA in .338 Lapua with the 300 grn. gen 2 bergers so I am pretty sure that I have way more gun than what I am willing to shoot at a live target for distance. My goal is to get between 6 and 7 hundred if the vitals are a large enough target. I am shooting well under 1 MOA at the range but I know that excitement will play a large part in it when I put the crosshairs on an elk for the first time. Just wondering how big of a margin of error I have here, thanks in advance.

P.S. I know I can go on a wildlife site but I would rather get the info from people who have actually shot these things in some number and give me a real life average instead of the book version.

Slightly larger will still do the trick, but I like to say 12 to 14" depending on the size or age of the cow. Tuck that bullet in the crease tight behnd the front shoulder and she wont go anywhere. Try to get a full broadside shot or slightly facing away if possible. But if not I think you will be fine. You are using an elk rifle with a bullet that will reak havok with the vitals. We took a few cows with the 300 Berger from my 338 LM this past season. All DRT including my wifes at 816 yards. All were complete pass throughs with 1 1/2" exits.

Jeff

Yup, 12' is a good figure. Some of the cows can get way bigger than bulls. For some reason, they seem to live longer than the bulls:D

My 308 killed them fine at 250 yds.

Just practice at what you figure your max range would begun)

I am going on my first elk hunt in a few weeks and am also hoping to get get my first long range kill under my belt on this trip, well okay long range to me anyways. I know that true long range stuff is still beyond my abilities for now but am hoping to start to push it out there. What I am needing to know in order to set my max range shot that I am going to allow myself to take is roughly how big is the kill zone on an average cow elk? I have been hunting most of my life but up to this point it has been mostly moose with the odd deer and occasional black bear thrown in for good measure. I will be using my 110 BA in .338 Lapua with the 300 grn. gen 2 bergers so I am pretty sure that I have way more gun than what I am willing to shoot at a live target for distance. My goal is to get between 6 and 7 hundred if the vitals are a large enough target. I am shooting well under 1 MOA at the range but I know that excitement will play a large part in it when I put the crosshairs on an elk for the first time. Just wondering how big of a margin of error I have here, thanks in advance.

P.S. I know I can go on a wildlife site but I would rather get the info from people who have actually shot these things in some number and give me a real life average instead of the book version.
If you use the aiming point shown in the picture you should have about +/- 8 inches elevation and 24" left/right.

Attachments

• Bull Elk Target.jpg
    Bull Elk Target.jpg
    36.8 KB · Views: 1,889
Thanks too all for the input, with that size of an area to hit I'm positive that my self imposed limit of 700 yards is going to be meat in the freezer. As long as I can stay calm and not have a brain fart and do something dumb when it comes down to getting behind the gun. Right now I think that is going to be my biggest challenge is overcoming the excitement, even after all these years of hunting my heart still starts thumping and I breathe a little faster every time I get a chance at an annimal. Once again thanks for the input and I'll keep you all posted after it's over.

Broz advice is solid as it gets on elk!! The picture of the elk his son took this year should be a sticky on every elk forum!!!

On a cow elk I shoot for an area the size of a paper plate right behind the shoulder in the crease centered for elevation, you can go out side it by 5in or so and your still good especially with the 300 Berger.
If your getting excited just dry fire a couple times, going through all the motions just like you had one in the chamber, it really works to get you back on track!!

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.