Couple of downed Alberta wolves

speeders

Here are a few wolves shot up here in Alberta. The one shot with the bow was early last fall. The other 2 were from this fall. Both were called in by howling. 1 came in with a group of 10. Sucked we could only shoot one as the pack hung around howling for close to an hour within 200 yards. Just would catch a glimpse of them. The second one was in a pack of 3. We could only get 1 shot as the grass was 3-4 feet tall and could only see the tails at first when they came in.

The 300 wsm has had a work out so far this year between wolves, coyotes and bears.

Attachments

• wolf 2.jpg
    wolf 2.jpg
    165.1 KB · Views: 170
  • wolf 6.jpg
    wolf 6.jpg
    307.4 KB · Views: 174
  • iphone pictures 090.jpg
    iphone pictures 090.jpg
    242 KB · Views: 168
  • wolf.JPG
    wolf.JPG
    336.1 KB · Views: 173
  • wolf2.JPG
    wolf2.JPG
    260.8 KB · Views: 191
Seriously Sir, killing a wolf with a rifle cool, getting one with a bow outrageous. I'd shake your hand if I lived close!

Good job. I know it seems like most people in wolf country complain about them, but I wish there were some around here to whack.

The bow kill was a big of a fluke. I was actually just heading to check my trail cameras at the beginning of bow season. I took the kids for a quick drive and while driving down a maze of oil lease roads, we see a wolf laying on the road about a 100 yards away. I drove past, got out the pse and range finder. I was thinking there is no way it is gonna be there. I walked back and looked down the road heading to another well. The wolf was still there and was looking the other way. I managed to get to 70 yards. I moved my pin to 70 drew back and let her rip. I seen the arrow skip down the road and thought I had missed. I went back and got the kids. We walked down and seen where he spun out heading into the bush. At first there was no blood or hair. 10 yards into the bush we find some blood. Off the kids went. The wolf went about 40 yards and piled up. It was fun watching the kids track it down. I could see the wolf up a rise. I didn't let on I seen it. The kids had a bit of a surprise when the came over top and the wolf was laying a few yards away.

We actually have a bounty on them here in certain areas.

You for sure don't want them if you don't have them. An area that held 1000's of elk and was well know for producing some of the biggest bulls in Alberta has now dropped to 300 head give or take and is just hanging on as calf survival is really low.

They are exciting to hunt. I have called a few in with rabbit in distress etc but nothing beats howlng them in and have them run in looking for a fight. Every time it hear them howl it sends the hair on the back of my neck straight up.

You for sure don't want them if you don't have them. An area that held 1000's of elk and was well know for producing some of the biggest bulls in Alberta has now dropped to 300 head give or take and is just hanging on as calf survival is really low.
QUOTE]

I really do want them here. There's no wild animals here that I care to preserve. Most whitetails here don't get much bigger than my neighbors Doberman and usually when I go hunting all I wish to see is a coyote to shoot. If we had decent deer, elk, and moose around I wouldn't want too many of em I guess.

You are more than welcome to take all of Idaho's wolves home with you!

I probably won't even buy an elk tag and waste my time next year. That's how bad our elk herd now is in the areas I've hunted with great success for the last 20 years.

And its not like the wolves here stand around and offer you a shot opportunity. After the first season, they all stopped responding to calls, and you never hear them howling anymore. All you see is their tracks and the trail of barely eaten carcasses they leave behind.

Yeah You Guys Are Probably Right, Coyotes Have Put A Hurtin On Our Deer Herd And A Few Wolves Would Probably Finish Em Off But For A Year Or 2 I think It Would Be A Lot Of fun

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.