Couple of Critters beyond 400 yards

Nice story and pic Ernie!
I sure do like the stock but how is it in cold weather, I would think your hands would get cold holding onto metal? I guess you could have Erik carry it ;-)
Out west wouldn't be as much an issue as it's in a pack but here in WI i usually carry it by hand.
I know I didn't like having a metal riser on my bow.
I was looking at weather reports and looks like I better take my snowshoes for the hunt in two weeks.

Mike,
I haven't used it in cold weather yet.
That is what gloves are for:D
Yes, I typically carry it in my pack or use a sling.

Alright, how can you tell it's a doe at that distance instead of a buck? Other than anatomy if you can actually see to tell. I must admit I don't know too much about your quarry.

Alright, how can you tell it's a doe at that distance instead of a buck? Other than anatomy if you can actually see to tell. I must admit I don't know too much about your quarry.

All males have a black cheek patch, females do not.

Nice shooting Ernie, glad you were able to anchor the buck. That is definitely food for thought on the erroneous yardage reading.

Congratulations on both kills.
You still amaze me shooting at those distances with your custom made pistols. It is hard for me with the rifle, hard to imagine doing it with a pistol.
Thanks for the posts and for the teaching.

Nice pics Ern. Several years ago iwas out hunting coyotes with my 6.5-284XP, and had a coyote sitting down at long-range. He was sitting on top of a very low rise in front of some trees. I lasered 600-something, but i believe the laser was catching the trees behind him, as i paced it at 500-something. Missed him of course--no doubt high. Just goes to show u that it still isn't a perfect system.

Nice poke. That's pretty darn far for a handgun.

Yes, it is a nice hat.

I need to search for a "hat" smiley. lightbulb

Great Shooting there Buddy , Handguns and Extreme Ranges .... Got to love it....
Thanks for sharing your experiences/knowledge.
Ray

Nice shooting Ernie!

400 in a 10mph wind with a 6.5x284 is nothing to sneeze at, and the Mule deer @ 600 is a great shot also.

Goes to show what practice and knowing your equipment can do.

Good analysis too. I had that happen to me before as well. Lazered short of the actual target. Luckily the reading was so far off I knew there was a problem. But if it had been close like your situation I would have never known it was happening.

Doug

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.