Couple of Critters beyond 400 yards

Ernie

SPONSOR
Here is a couple of animals I have taken the last two weekends at what would be considered long-range.

First, is a medium sized Mule Deer I took yesterday at 600 yards.
Wind was running from 7-8 mph on this shot.
IMG_4292.jpg

Second is an "uncommon doe" antelope I shot the last Saturday in September at 420 yards with a 10mph full value wind.
IMG_4269-2.jpg

Both animals were taken with my rear-grip XP-100, McRee stock, Leupold Mark 4 FFP 6.5-20 with ART Reticle, Barrel and chambering were from McGowen. Brake is Holland's Radial Muzzle Brake. Bullet is the Berger 140 grain VLD. Chambering is the 6.5-284. Federal match primer, Lapua brass, and Hodgdon's Hybrid 100V. Both shots were taken from the prone position, using a Harris BR Bi-pod (notched legs) with Pod-Lok. I use a small leather bag under the pistol grip filled with corn cob media.
Using the 6.5-284, which is about the same as a 260 Rem in a rifle is definitely more challenging than shooting my 7mm Dakota or my new 338 barrel that will share the same action in the future.
The wind has to be more spot on and the other thing I am being reminded is how a little swell in the ground can throw you off of your true distance to target. My shots went low on the mule deer because of such an issue yesterday. It is moving me to know the width of the beam at various yards, and also will be one of the factors of it is a "go" or "no go" when it comes to pulling the trigger. The laser read consistently the same distance, but it was consistently short. The good thing was that the difference did not keep me from missing or even worse, wounding an animal that could not be recovered.
Also, I wish there was a way to get my Kestrel high in the air while being able to read it while prone for more accurate data at my position while not alerting game.

In reality, I think it was my new blaze orange LRH Cap that made the difference on the mule deer though:D

Last edited:
Good job Ernie. Nice animals and like always you pay attention to the technique and analyze it carefully for the next time.

Good shooting! How do you like the McRee stock and why?

I know what you mean about the ground swells and ranging. If the animal will allow time wise, it is good to double check with the ranging reticle.

Good job Ernie. Nice animals and like always you pay attention to the technique and analyze it carefully for the next time.

I try to pay attention to details. You never stop learning for sure. When talking to someone about the shot that evening, he commented that I didn't sound very excited about the 600 yard kill.
Well, I was still perturbed about shooting low twice.
I want the shot or shots to go exactly where I intended them to go or I am not going to pull the trigger.
I know things happen, but that doesn't mean I have to like it.
My vertical on the animal was the same each time and I had killed an "unsuspecting rock" (Thanks Shawn for this phrase-I love it!) twice @ 500 yards earlier in the day and my drops were spot on.

Good shooting! How do you like the McRee stock and why?

I know what you mean about the ground swells and ranging. If the animal will allow time wise, it is good to double check with the ranging reticle.

That is a good idea about checking with the reticle, but my reticle ranging skills at 600 yards, are not good enough to determine a 35 yard difference @ 600 yards.
My shots were 6" low each time which is right at 1MOA difference or right at 35 yards with my drops.

What I like about McRee's stock is that it is so versatile. I change forend out easily and can got to a 3" wide forend and a comp grip with bag bar in a matter of minutes for LR pd's or a 1K match. Since it is all aluminum I don't worry about POI changes and it is really tough to boot. Also I can use any grip that is made for the AR platform as well.
Simple, strong, and versatile. Keeps POI the same when taking it off and on as well.

Pic of the same rig set-up for BR or pd shooting. Not the best group in the world at 500 yards, but still pleased. I won the shoot-off in those conditions with this group.

McReeXP364.jpg

Kicken butt again I see! Are those little horns growing on the does head or big tufts of hair? Either way that's really cool lookin animal!

Thanks!
Yes, those are horns. It is called an "uncommon doe." I was intentionally hunting for a horned doe so as to make doe hunting a little more challenging.

Nice story and pic Ernie!
I sure do like the stock but how is it in cold weather, I would think your hands would get cold holding onto metal? I guess you could have Erik carry it ;-)
Out west wouldn't be as much an issue as it's in a pack but here in WI i usually carry it by hand.
I know I didn't like having a metal riser on my bow.
I was looking at weather reports and looks like I better take my snowshoes for the hunt in two weeks.

Ernie, did you range (laser I assume) the animal wrong because of the ground swells or was the POI just different?

It was my error. I saw the swell, but I did not think it was enough to catch on the beam-I was wrong. This issue, has helped remind me that the little things can make a big difference.
When shooting steel, I have lasered the ground in front of it accidentally, but I really didn't think this was enough to make a difference this time.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.