Couple new rigs from APS....

Fiftydriver

Official LRH Sponsor
Got a couple new rigs finished up and range tested and ready to ship. First is an interesting rifle which has a list of not so common componants. Here is the Spec list:

BAT HRPIC receiver w/ integral recoil lug and integral 20 moa rail
Seekins 3.990" DM system
Jewell trigger
ABS Carbon fiber barrel, 1.350" shank diameter, 338 cal, 1-10, 30"
ALLEN PRECISION Painkiller muzzle brake
Manner MCS-T4 carbon fiber stock
NF NXS 5.5-22x 56mm
NF Ultralight rings
Scope level
ACI on rail mount, not pictured
Harris S 9-13 bipod with pod loc, not pictured

The rifle is chambered for my 338 Allen Xpress.
ImportedPhotos00000-11.jpg

ImportedPhotos00001-8.jpg

ImportedPhotos00004-4.jpg

The finished rifle with harris bipod installed and a full magazine weighs in at 15.5 lbs.

THis is the first time I have used this receiver from BAT and will be honest, I am VERY impressed with it in every way. I can not yet find one fault with this receiver.

I am still working up the drop chart for this rifle as that was part of the package that the customer wanted. So far I have shot this rifle at 530, 1130, 1505 and 1615 yards and can tell you the rifle is a hell of a shooter. In fact, she shot my personal best three shot group at +1600 yards to date which was well under 6" ctc.

This rifle is also a great performer. With the 30" barrel length, she is driving the 300 gr SMK to an average 3050 fps which is very significant as it nearly splits the difference between the RUM class chambers and the 408 CT bases rounds in same barrel lengths.

Very happy with the rifle and soon I will have the drops perfected and she will head to her new home.

The next rig is one I love to work on but do it very little compared to my rifle builds. Its a high powered XP-100 handgun. Here is the list of its specs:

Fully trued XP receiver
Sako extractor
DE external bolt release
APS modified Holland Comp recoil lug
Lilja 18" 6.5mm 1.200" straight cylinder barrel
3/8" flutes
Allen Precision Compact 3 port brake design
McMillan stock
APS reinforced bedding
Near 10 moa rail base converted to 5, 8-40 tpi bolts

ImportedPhotos00000-12.jpg

ImportedPhotos00001-9.jpg

This XP is chambered for one of my favorite handgun chamberings, the 6.5mm WSM. Using Rl-19, she is driving the 142 gr SMK to just shy of 2900 fps.

I tested this handgun on the same day I tested the above 338 AX, only shot it at 540 yards. Only took 4 shots total. One after bore sighting, three for group. Those three easily went inside 2" at 540 yards and there is absolutely no recoil at all. That maybe hard to believe but its the truth, these big handguns simply have no recoil!!!

This handcannon has already headed to its new owner and hopefully will put a monster whitetail on the ground soon.

Just some more eye candy from APS

Nice looking rigs as always. I am sure the new owners will be as happy with thier APS rifles as I am.

Nice guns.

Question? How long does it take to receive an ABS barrel from the time of order until the time of receipt?

Long450,

The 6.5mm WSM is a great chambering for medium to big game in both rifle and handgun. Its best as a big game chambering where shooting volume will be somewhat limited moreso then a target, comp or varmint chambering. This is simply because of barrel life.

The 7mm WSM is another great choice for an XP. The larger bore will allow more velocity with same bullet weights or same velocity with slightly heavier bullet weights.

Ballistically, would be hard to tell one from another but I would think that with the 180 gr VLD in the 7mm, it would have a slight edge in ballistic performance at longer ranges. Still, the heavier bullet produces more recoil which is really of no concern with the muzzle brakes we use on these handcannons so do not let that stop you.

Simply put, if you want a bit more barrel life and perhaps a bit more terminal performance on larger game, the 7mm WSM would be a better choice but its suprising how impressive the 6.5mm version is.

Phorwath,

To be honest, I can not remember how long it took. I believe it was around a year. This project has taken a LONG time to get done. There was one set back after another with componants, I think we are going on 20 months now. My customer has shown exceptional patients when in many cases I would have expected most to bail. He did not and I greatly appreciate that. In the end, I believe he will be very happy with this precision rifle but its been a long hard road for both of us but we hung in there. Now we are seeing the results!!!

Personally, I do not recommend ABS barrels. They generally shoot extremely well. I have only had a couple that had accuracy issues. The problem is getting one in shop and cost. Personally, I do not feel they are worth the huge increase in price compared to an all steel barrel.

I will not refuse to work with an ABS barrel simply because I know they shoot, I just tell my customers if they want one, they need to call ABS and order the barrel as I just do not have the time to deal with them......

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.