Corroded copper fouling - Clean or don't clean

Discussion in 'Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics' started by MT_Hunter, Oct 25, 2010.

1. MT_Hunter

MT_Hunter Member

I was out hunting this weekend and I ran into scattered rain showers. It's been a while since I cleaned my barrel because my rifle is still shooting accurate. The little bit of copper fouling in my barrel corroded (turned green) near the muzzle end of the barrel.

I am wondering if I should clean my barrel and run a few fouling rounds down it or leave it alone until accuracy starts to fall off.

Thanks for you thoughts.

2. LordScythe

LordScythe Active Member

I usually clean mine. If you want to, you can clean the outer part of the barrel especially around the muzzle and run about two patches coated in cleaner down the bore and then run some gun oil down afterwards, let sit about 15 minutes and then run about three patches after that dry and it should take the fouling out and not do anything to your accuracy.

3. Derek M.

Derek M. Well-Known Member

clean it

4. rem300ultra

rem300ultra Well-Known Member

+1 on clean it.

5. Derek M.

Derek M. Well-Known Member

leaving copper corrosion in the barrel is like leaving a hangin booger in your nose. Sure you can still breath, but it just ain't right.

6. MT_Hunter

MT_Hunter Member

Thanks guys. That is what I was thinking but thought I should quiz the brain trust here at LRH.

7. dustybrown

dustybrown Well-Known Member

How much copper fouling in a good bbl does it take to start building preasure and shooting high ? I was just curious if any one had this problem and what ya thought ... I seem to have this problem after 75 or so rounds.

8. royinidaho

royinidaho Writers Guild

Well said!!!:)