correct torque on the action screws on a Rem SA ?

carverelli

I've got a 6-284 on a Rem 700 SA ww/ the original HS Precision stock. Barrel is a straight 1.25 stainless 29+ inches and I skim bedded it and the 1st 2 inches ahead of the recoil lug beacuse the barrel is so heavy. What's the correct torque for the action screws. I did a search and couldn't find my answers. I always just tightened them down "good and snug" but I know there's a correct tightness. Thanks in advance.

That's a good question, I have wondered myself but it is never discussed. I set mine at 25 in.lbs on the front and 15 in lbs on the rear so they are always set the same. Curious what other people do?

60-65 inch lbs is what all my rifles are at....

However, there have been some tests that say 40 inch lbs yields better accuracy... I have not found this to be true... so mine are at 65 inch lbs.

Ric or Chris

Have you ever had the aluminum floor plate tang crack when torqueing to 65 inch lbs?
I had one do it to me, had to plug weld the hole and redrill. The fit of the floor plate was tight, the stock was not pillar bedded and the action was bedded.
Dave

I use a 65 inch pound wrench on all pillar bedded or beding block type of stocks. it works for me and I have used it for 6mmBR ACK to 338x378 Whby.
The bear

Sounds like it might have been cracked or weak from the start.....haven't had it happen yet, but almost everything I mess with is bedded and has pillars.....or I replace the TG with a better steel aftermarket guard.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.