Correct cooler size and proper packing for meat

Standard 48qt cooler will hold 2 Antelope, or 1 Deer, it takes 2 48qt coolers for 5x5 Size Elk. This is for processed meat form locker plant & frozen will stay frozen for 24 hours while traveling. Just don't open cooler to look at keep lid closed. Has worked for me. No fancy coolers just average Coleman coolers.

Ive used big coolers for years in remote river floating and hunting. Started out with Gott coolers in 80 and 123 QT sizes. I have graduated to Engle 123 and a Yeti 155 now, which are incredibly tougher and have held up much better in extreme abuse. Both brands work fine and hold ice great. They are expensive but last darn near forever compared to all the $ in cheap ones ruined and thrown away over all the years. Use them also in the Truck when not on the rivers. Have hauled meat 1500 miles repeatedly with ice and pre cooling with no problems. Precooling really makes a difference. I like the looks of the kill bags for a new lighter method however and in shorter time frame conditions.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.