Corn Cob or Walnut?

Centre Punch

I have one vibratory tumbler filled with corn cob media and another filled with walnut.
Up untill a neighbour gave me another cleaner i used to tumble with corn cob only.
One friend tells me to clean with treated corn cob first and then do a final polish with walnut.
Another friend tells me the exact opposite.
Which method or media has given any of you guys the best results. Thanks

Ian.

Ian, I use corn cob. I used to use walnut, but it doesn't seem to clean as fast as corn cob. Also, corn cob is cheap and easier to find around here. If the brass is really dirty, I add a SMALL amount of brasso to the vibrator. It really cleans up cases in a hurry. Lyman makes a brass additive that I've never tried. Good luck. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

I have used both and i am settling on the walnut. Corncob works great but I think the walnut puts a finer polish on the brass, it also seems like the walnut cleans up the necks a little better.

I think both will work great for you and the corn may do the job a little quicker. When I polish my brass i do for a LONG time, overnight sometimes. I just turn the sucker on and leave it be. then i store the brass in old folgers plastic coffee containers until i need it.

good luck
steve

When I started tumbling cases I did so due to the volumes of pistol brass I was loading. With carbide dies I wanted them as clean and shiney as possible. IF fo no other reason they looked great.

I got tired of dumping it out every two weeks or so and having to pay 8-10 bucks for replacement media, so did a little calling around. I found that I could get 50# of either for about 18 bucks at most, from a local sand blasting supply. Well who needs 50# of media much less 50 of each. I got hold my my shooting buds and we split it up and ended up with a major supply for little of nothing.

I tried either by it's self, as well as several mixes of the two. I also added in several different recommended polishes as well during all of this. My final outcome was a mix of 2 parts corncob to one part walnut with about 1/2 teaspoon of Flitz put in and mixed up well, before adding the cases.

This combination will flat out knock the crud off of and out of 2-300 or so cases in around an hour. I don't think it does the insides of bottle necked cases as well but it still gets a lot of it. I also generally polish them up for about half an hour in plain cob and flitz after sizing just to get any lube or whatever minute burs around the necks off.

For the Flitz, I use the tumbler bowl as a measure for the media, and figureing it 2/3 full of media - 1/2 teaspoon of Flitz. I suppose this could be anything really but it has worked well for me. I put in the fresh media, turn on the tumbler, and add the Flitz slowly to try and avoid any major clumping. Once it is in, let it run for about 15 or so minutes initially before adding the cases. This helps to dissapate the major clomps, and keeps the clumps from settling into a case.

Hope this helps.

I have so far tumbled my cases for 20hrs in corn cob media treated with several teaspoons of Rooster Labs liquid polish.
Although the cases are clean and shiney the necks are also clean but still dull.
I figured on de-priming and neck sizing after this and then final tumbling in the walnut to bring up a good polished shine.

Ian

I've found that the untreated walnut takes a little longer to polish the cases, but it lasts longer than the corncob media. The corncob media I had only lasted about 6 months before it would leave black smears on the brass. I've been using some pre-treated walnut media for almost a year now and it still hasn't even discolored. It also seams to polish in the same time frame as the old corncob stuff did.

You need to try ultrasonic cleaning. I tumbled cases for 20+ years and just started with the ultrasonic cleaning a few months ago. Way better and faster. There is a post on ultrasonic cleaning on this site. Do a search if you are interested.

I get good results from just chemical cleaning. I boil a 45% water, 45% Apple Cider Vinegar, and 10% Lemon Juice mixture, then pour it into a bucket with my dirty, deprimed brass. I swirl the brass in the bucket for a couple minutes, then let is sit for 1 or 2 hours. After that I pour out the solution, rinse with water, nuetralize with a water-baking soda mixture for a few minutes, rinse again and let dry. If there is any discoloration remaining around the necks, one wipe with a Krazy Cloth fixes it. I deprime before cleaning with a Universal Decapping Die.

Hey fishry doesn't that get expensive? I have to be careful because my wife watches what I spend. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Geez, guys,
I'm from the south, and I always found that corncobs cleaned just fine. Lots easier on the skin too............... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I figured on de-priming and neck sizing after this and then final tumbling in the walnut to bring up a good polished shine.

Ian

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't tumble after you deprime or you will be picking walnut media out of the primer pockets! (don't ask me how I know this...please). /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

Expensive?

Univeral decapping die: $11, works for everything.
2.5 gallon bucket: Cheap
Water: almost free
Krazy Cloth: $3.99 from Sinclair and lasts almost forever
Cider vinegar: Wife says about $2 or $3 for a gallon from Super Wally World
Lemon Juice: A couple of bucks for a bottle, and cider vinegar will work fine without it (50:50 solution).
Baking Soda: cheap and is doesn't take much either.

Clean Shiny Brass: PRICELESS!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I only use enough of the solution at a time to completely submerge the brass, usually about 1/4 to 1/3 of a gallon for about 150 to 200 pieces of brass. Plus, I didn't have to buy a tumbler, so I am way ahead. I also don't have to remove cleaning media from primer pockets and flash holes.

A comment / question...

I've always been told (and believed the guys) that tumbling neck turned and precision prepared brass dings up the necks etc. and is a bad idea.

So I tumble pistol brass and minute of buck rifle brass and clean the rest with a cloth and rinse one at a time and brush the necks inside.

Have I lost 5 years of my life cleaning brass to unnecessary caution with prepped necks etc.? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts