Cooper Rifle

I have 2 friend s that shoot the 1000 yrd bench in 6mm dasher. They are both record holders. I think you my like a 6mmbr, shot lots of records in 300-600 bench.Cooper has a rifle for this
Yeh, I was thinking about the 6mmbr too. What loads do you use and what velocity do you get out of your br?

That being the case, go for the 6.5x284 in a Cooper with the heavy barrel, 1:8 twist , synthetic stock,It's an incredible shooter and you will be hard pressed to get better ballistics.
I know you mentioned the Savages earlier so let me clarify my situation a little more. I guess I am drawn to the Cooper because its a Cooper and you hear great things about them but I have nothing against the Savage. And as far as price goes I would have to pay retail for the Cooper but the Savage I can get at wholesale. So I'm not 100% sure on what to do. I think I have narrowed the caliber down to 6.5x284 or 6mm BR (I know the BR wasn't in my original post but it should have been). Would the Savage be likely to shoot as well as the Cooper? Would the increase in cost be worth it (probably $800 difference)?

It started off egg shooting at 300-400yds, and none of the cartridges you were considering are suited for that.
The discussion departed to 1kyd potential, which is the wrong direction for maximum potential -up close.
An excellent hunting gun(like a Cooper), given it's stock and trigger, misses maximum potential up close. It doesn't have a BR stock & trigger(which are impractical for hunting).
That's where Savage target in 6br comes in, and NOT in tight twists with long range bullets.

You should take a deep breath and really focus on what you want to do. Think bullets. That's where it all starts:
-Bullet
-Capacity to drive the bullet
-Metal(action/barrel/trigger/dies/brass) for the cartridge, for that bullet
-Stock suiting the bullet's purpose, and management of recoil caused by launching of that bullet
-Scope for bullet's purpose
-Ballistic realities so far, given that bullet
-Start over with another bullet until you've got a plan that works

It started off egg shooting at 300-400yds, and none of the cartridges you were considering are suited for that.
The discussion departed to 1kyd potential, which is the wrong direction for maximum potential -up close.
An excellent hunting gun(like a Cooper), given it's stock and trigger, misses maximum potential up close. It doesn't have a BR stock & trigger(which are impractical for hunting).
That's where Savage target in 6br comes in, and NOT in tight twists with long range bullets.

You should take a deep breath and really focus on what you want to do. Think bullets. That's where it all starts:
-Bullet
-Stock suiting the bullet's purpose, and management of recoil caused by launching of
that bullet

Good post! I have been shooting eggs at long range for several years and still shoot about a dozen matches a year. At 300 yards, you won't compete unless the rifle shoots less than .5 MOA, preferably .25 MOA with a hot barrel, with total consistency. Not easy! I might differ some on you bullet choice view. Given an accurate load, the consistent winners have bullet, load combos that produce the best performance in the wind. On windy days the heavy for caliber, high BC bullet almost always takes the trophy. A while back I began deviating from the standard BR style rigs I did well with, and is the common set up at these shoots. Thought it would be great hunting practice
using LR hunting style rigs with hunting weight triggers in the 2-3 pound range. In the beginning I shot like crap, but now after a lot of refinement in loads and skills, I have been able to compete well. It is excellent skill development practice for LR hunting.

While a Cooper is all you pay for in a gun(good investment), your cartridge choice makes no sense for the application.
243 AI, overbore barrel burner, overpower mid range hunting.
6x284, Same taken to ridiculous.
6.5x284, long range barrel burner, not for hunting junk at a landfill.

Cooper's wood stocks are bedded -without pillars, and they're HUNTING stocks(not BR). For this application, I suggest you look at Savage model 12(target) in 6BR.
Savage Arms > Firearms > Browse Models
But call them & ask for a slower twist barrel for mid-weight FB BR bullets.

LOL , I almost pee'd alittle when i read to compare a Cooper to a Savage.
If you think a Savage will out preform a Cooper, I suggest you bring your savage to this years cooper one shot match. A Savage is a great starter rifle but its far from being Cooper.

-Bullet
-Stock suiting the bullet's purpose, and management of recoil caused by launching of that bullet

I really don't want to turn this topic into bickering but I feel like you reply to my questions like I have never shot a rifle before and have no idea what I am doing. That is not the case. I am nowhere near as knowledgeable about rifles/shooting as most folks here probably yourself included but I am not totally ignorant either. I wanted information on a rifle that would be accurate enough to hit eggs and other small targets at 300-400 yards but be capable of shooting farther if given the chance. I did not even mention shooting 1000 yards with this gun, and I have no intentions of doing so. I chose the calibers I did because given the right load they should be accurate, able to fight wind fairly well, and do what I want them to do. I actually did start my selection similar to what you suggested. I started with the 6 and 6.5mm bullets that are relatively heavy, and have good BC. I then looked for a cartridge that would shoot those bullets accurately, with little recoil, and be fairly flat shooting. I found the calibers that would do that then I looked for rifles in those chamberings and came across the Cooper. That is why I posted asking for others input with Coopers.
I do however appreciate your input of the Cooper triggers & stocks, the suggestion of the Savage, and the comparisons of the two. That is the type of information I was looking for. And if I took what you said in the wrong manner then I apologize but that is how it came across to me.

Last edited:
I love this thread, a lot of great stuff.

What about a Phoenix in 260 Rem?

WV Sendero, I may have looked at your intent with too limited of focus.
I was thinking purpose built rather than general good shooting.

I love Coopers, but I do clearly recognize their limits(like their triggers, twists, stocks & barrel lengths).
As far as performance(only) potential of Savages? I don't see these limits.
If it's a great hunting rifle you want, the Cooper's it.
If it's purely performance, anyone should consider Savage these days.

WV Sendero, I may have looked at your intent with too limited of focus.
I was thinking purpose built rather than general good shooting.

I love Coopers, but I do clearly recognize their limits(like their triggers, twists, stocks & barrel lengths).
As far as performance(only) potential of Savages? I don't see these limits.
If it's a great hunting rifle you want, the Cooper's it.
If it's purely performance, anyone should consider Savage these days.

It will be just a general shooter and definately not a hunter. After doing a little research on the Savages like you mentioned I am starting to lean a little more toward them. I like the idea of the 6oz-2.5lb trigger, the heavier weight, and the longer barrel. The price will be alot better too. What is the bedding system like on the Savages with the laminated stocks like the F class and the Bench Rest? Do the Savages seem to take much work to make them shooters other than load development?

I know you mentioned the Savages earlier so let me clarify my situation a little more. I guess I am drawn to the Cooper because its a Cooper and you hear great things about them but I have nothing against the Savage. And as far as price goes I would have to pay retail for the Cooper but the Savage I can get at wholesale. So I'm not 100% sure on what to do. I think I have narrowed the caliber down to 6.5x284 or 6mm BR (I know the BR wasn't in my original post but it should have been). Would the Savage be likely to shoot as well as the Cooper? Would the increase in cost be worth it (probably $800 difference)?

My two best shooters are a Cooper 52, and a Savage LRH both in 6.5x284. These are not Benchrest rifles. They weigh in about 11.5-12#. Both will consistently group .25 MOA. They both have medium heavy barrels. I have a few other Savages and there are a dozen guys I shoot with at my club that have Savages and Coopers. They are both pretty close ifrom an accuracy standpoint, but there is a chance you that you can get a Savage that doesn't shoot. I have seen this happen. This is not likely with the Cooper. What you get for the extra price of the Cooper is superior quality of workmanship, materials, and finish. The action is smooth as silk. You can also order the stock, barrel, caliber, twist, and trigger pull you want. I consider the Cooper a semi- custom. That's what your $800 gets you. Both will do the job....... but I LOVE my Cooper!!!

Considering a Savage and a Cooper in the same thread is like considering a Yugo and a Caddilac. Both will get you there, but do you want to go with style or just get there? Savages can shoot, so I've read. I shot two elk with my daughters Savage 7-08 this year, but it is still a Savage, and IMO, Savage rifles are ugly and cheap compared to a Cooper. I've had 5 Coopers and all were very accurate, beautiful, and gracefully designed rifles. I still have 3, and sold the other two only to fund a custom LR rifle. For the use you described, get one of the varmint models. That stock will ride the bags better, but get the Cooper!

You can also order the stock, barrel, caliber, twist, and trigger pull you want. QUOTE]

When you say that you order the barrel you want, are you saying cooper will use,say, a krieger barrel for the build or are you just specifying length?

No, I was saying that you could order a heavy barrel from them instead of a sportier weight barrel, and vary length as is stated in their catalog. I was responding to some commentary in priot posts that inferred that the hunting rifles offered did not have heavy enough barrels suitable for long range hunting.

Take a look at the custom options tab on their web site. You can order a barrel from a custom shop. I have a custom classic 22-250 with a varmint taper barrel and 14 twist. Normal 5 shot group is 1/2 MOA, and I have used the rifle to take prairie dogs as far as 683 yards. I am considering having it rebarreled with a Kreiger 8 twist for higher BC bullets. Those little 52 grain bullets blow around a lot past 400.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.