Cooper Rifle?

Greg Duerr

Has anyone had a bad experiance with a Cooper Rifle, like getting bad groupings for any other issue where you were disapointed with the Rifle and its performance..................................If so how was their Customer service.?

I'm very proud of my cooper. It's one of my favorite rifles. My father in law has 2 and loves both of them. I have another friend that has one and loves it as well. He had 2 but had to sell one to help pay for a surgery. He says that he really regrets selling it. Cooper makes a great rifle. They shoot as good as they say they do. The accuracy guarantee is a mayor selling point to me. I've only heard of one person that had a problem with one. It was a feed issue. I don't know if he ever got it resolved. But I would love to have another cooper. I contacted customer service before purchasing mine and found them very helpful. They quickly helped me with what I needed The only problem I had was the wait. But that was just me. Like I said, I would love to have another.

There are no bad Cooper rifles because the bad ones never leave the shop. I've seen and dealt with a bunch of them and never seen one that was less than fantastic.-----SS

I have a M52 Excaliber 280 AI ,and I do like the gun it feels great in my hands ,and shoulders well but it was a DIRTY _____ to get a load for, and when I did find loads then it was under 1/2 inch at 100 yards and 1 inch at 300 . The only thing I wish is that they were lighter as I would love a 6.5 284 for a sheep rig.

Mine is a 6.5 x.284 in the phoenix. 1/4 Minute gun to 400. probably 1/4 minute at 1000 but I can't shoot that. I can get .5 to .75 at 1k

+1 Springville shooter
The key to Cooper's success(that the rest need to employ): they actually verify each gun is right.

Mine is a model 57M Jackson Hunter in 22lr. The 1/4" 5 shot group @50yds gaurentee is an understatement. Ive shot groups with this rifle out to 100yds that would be impressive for some centerfires. I have other accurate 22's, but not like this one. My father in law and my friend both have coopers chambered in 22ppc. I'm not sure of the models. But both are hole for hole rifles at 100yds. After purchasing mine, I had every intention of getting another one. But I got mine pre-family, if you know what I mean. I won't be dropping a couple grand on a rifle anytime soon. Who knew, dad was right, kids ain't cheap.
As far as reloading. I obviously don't reload for the 22lr. And the 22ppc's have to be reloaded. If you go with a very common cartridge you don't always have to reload to find great accuracy. But reloading helps you achieve the rifles true potential.

I had a new Cooper Jackson Hunter all stainless in 7mm-08 Rem. The first thing I noticed is that the bolt was not centered in it's stock cut out. Secondly, it had an extremely long throat. I was unable to bore site it and I tried several loads but could not get it to shoot for me. It seemed like it had a barrel run out issue and it was returned to Cooper. They rebarreled it and returned it to me but it still had an extremely long throat. They included four one hole targets that a guy named Ty Yeager shot. I tried several more loads but could not get it to shoot. I'm going to sell it and try another simply because all of you guys seem to have such good luck with them.
Before you say it must be the shooter, I have a Hart barreled 300 Win Mag that I can consistently shoot .75" with no problems. I also regularly shoot under 1" with my Marlin GBL but no matter what I tried I could not get that Cooper to group! Maybe I had just lost all confidence in the Cooper because it sure shot for Ty Yeager (who from the video I watched is a better shooter than I will ever be) but it would not shoot for me.

Yes. I wasn't interested in using a 130gr Sierra Match bullet for hunting. They used IMR 4064 and I tried that powder in a few loads with no success. I'm not sure why they choose to use such a long throat. The mag will accept cartridges to a length of 2.850" but most bullets I tried wouldn't contact the rifling until they were 2.9" or more in length!

If it won't shoot give them a call again I would be wanting more satisfaction from them for the money they charge,but I did have a heck of a time finding a load for mine as well but now that I have one it shoots really well. I have shot the SMK for hunting before and they worked not so bad but I would rather not again.

I've tryed SMKs for hunting, and won't do it again. Yea, I would call them back. Politely re-explain the situation and try to find out the exact specs of the load they used. If it won't fit in the mag, I would ask what their going to do about that.

Several years ago, I bought a Model 22 in 6mmBR with 8 twist bbl. It shoots well under half min with 105 gr. Hornady pills. Intended to take it hunting, but its just too purty. My only complaint is that the trigger is awful. My smith adjusted it as best as he could, but it still has lot of creep.

Wonder if the OP has checked his scope and mounts??

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.