Cooper Phoenix...... Which One??

Rock Jock

My local dealer has a couple of Cooper Phoenix rifles that he marked down in price a bit.
One is a model 22 in 6.5x284, which is a single shot.
The other is a model 54 in .243 Win. which is a repeater.
The .243 is priced $100 higher than the 6.5x284 single shot.

I know that I would prefer the 6.5 but I'm not sure that I would like the single shot thing. All my other rifles or either semi auto, or bolt action repeaters.
So my question is, if I'm going to get one, which one? The single shot, or the repeater?

Has anyone purchased a single shot before and ended up regretting it?

Depends. I used to have a Ruger No. 1 in 300 Win Mag and kept a round on the ready between my fingers and never had a problem. You can get away with it in big country, but I would want a repeater in more dense country.

I have the 6.5 x .284. One of my most accurate guns. I don't load it too hot to hopefully conserve it's incredible bbl. It will shoot in the .1 at 100 yds pretty regularly with the Barnes 120 and the Sierra 140 mk. I use Re 22. just shot this weekend out to 750 for group and shot 3 5 shot groups under 5". With the accuracy if that gun a second shot has never been needed. I have killed about a dozen deer with it out to 600 yds. I am only running the 140 at 2658 the thing will shoot. I could push it well over 3000 but again why shoot out a bbl when all I really have to do is add clicks to get to 1000yds. I would get the single shot again. Stiffer action is better accuracy. I have an ammo wallet on my wrist when hunting should I ever need a follow up. No big deal. I was also shooting balloons at 1000 this weekend with it as well. Check out the test target in the box. In my heart the 6.5 has more potential accuracy than a .243. just look at the 1000 yd line up at a registered match. How many .243 are there?

A second vote for the 6.5x284. I have a Model 52 repeater that is incredibly accurate. About a dozen animals killed so far with no followup needed. If I did need one, not sure it would have made a significant difference in time. Check out the twist on the rifle. If you want to use 140 Bergers, they recommend 1:8. I've seen Coopers with 1:9.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.