cooper arms

I bought a Cooper Varminter in 6BR two years ago when they came out. It has a 1-8" twist, and handles the 105 gr. Hornady A Max very well. But I have not shot it a lot. I have a Leupold 6.5-20 on top, and intend to hunt ground hogs with it this summer. The fit and finish is perfect. You can order various options; check their web site. Mine did not come with sling swivel studs. I found a nickel plated set and had a smith install them.

I bought a Cooper right after they went in business in Stephensville, MT in the early 90's. The guys that started the company were all ex-Kimber people from Oregon. Very impressive work and accuracy. The one I have is a Model 22 Classic Custom in 243. It shoots as advertised with sub 1/2 groups, but I've only shot it maybe 30 times in 20 years. Biggest problem is the fit, bluing, metalwork and particularly the hand checkered walnut stock is so perfect that it became a safe queen. I really don't know why I've kept it this long, but it is a fine piece of outstanding gunsmithing.

I bought an M21 in 223 for my son bought 5yrs ago, and dressed it with a custom shop Mk4 scope, Harris bipod, and a rear accushot monopod. Killed a bunch of groundhogs with it. Killed a ton of targets..
Well my son doesn't shoot much,, but hell, I can't put it down!

Such a nice gun overall

I have a Cooper in .17 M4; is a GREAT piece of hardware. Would like another but for the price i have been using customs actions for my recent builds. If you want some great classic wood, they are hard to beat for "semi-production" items.

The company got some bad press when the President supported Obama during the last campaign. Each can make up their own mind on that data point.

Cooper makes some extreamly good guns, many will shoot one hole at 200 yards. Probably why Best of the West is going with Cooper!

RESALE can be an issue -if you're trying to buy one!
Especially one in a really nice grade of wood.
I 'just missed' a few in the past year! One in Luxus wood..

You can go custom (I have a few times), and it's fun with a great gunbuilder nearby. But there is always the abstract of unknown performance -for the money.
For example, I invested over $5k in a brand new T2k order, and 16mos later I recieved a sweet 1/2moa gun. That is fun, but truly a poor investment compared to a Cooper that outshoots it, cost less than half as much, no work on it, and is actually practical in the field..
I concede to it.

I cut a check for one at Cabelas($1,300). Swapped the scope off my gun to it(~$1,300), opened a box of crappy off the shelf factory ammo, zero'd quick, and OMG, the **** thing shot 1/2moa groups! Better still, it's cold barrel ACCURACY was under 1/2moa.
I don't get luck like this.. Back to Cabelas to buy all that lot ammo I could.
I fired a couple ranges lasered, took my laptop with ballistic software to a relatives & printed up a click card(we were hunting far from home).
For the remainder of the hunting vacation my son couldnt put it down, and killed a bunch of chucks, including this one at 524yds. 50Blitzkings!
First woodchuck hunting for him!
**** good investment

For THIS gun, resale is less of a possibility than issue..

I had a Model 22 in 22-250 AI with that narrow forearm it was highly pressure point sensitive.Oh it was a sweet action alright. My rifle shot very poorly off the bench.So thumbs down for me. If I'm gonna put out that kind of dough its gonna be a custom rifle with a cut rifled barrel. There are many other options.

Well those are good points.
Folks if you 'hunt' varmints off a bench(in 5sht groups), you should be using a Rem700/300RUM..
Thanks for the insight Iron Worker!

Cooper rifles are a nice semi custom rifle. Have seen quite a few but they are not for me especially since the "namesake" who may still be associated indirectly with the company supported Obama.

Would not catch me with one in my hand unless someone gave it to me then I would keep it in the safe.

Having a Cooper is much like riding a mini bike or having a fat girlfriend!!! They are both fun to ride but you don't want your friends to see you on either one.

Last edited:
I have several friends that own several of them. They all shoot better than advertised.
I hate what Cooper did with obumer. I hate that their supplied targets are shot at
35 yards, but their guns shoot and they will bend into a pretzel to make you happy if
it doesn't.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.