Cooper 7mm stw.

Slaysesh

I have been wondering if anyone has bought or played much with a copper 7mm stw!!!! I think the repeater style with their heavy barrel and flute it, held by their one of their "varmint" stock would just be the cats meow!!! I get excited thinking about it and hope to own one, one day if I can get the boss to give the thumbs up. Prob not any time soon though. Any experience or pics would be sweet!!

I just bought a Model 56 Excalibur. Today was the first outing with the rifle. I bought and loaded 140 TTSX. Four rounds each with RL22, RL25, and 7828ssc. I loaded all rounds to 3.70" OAL. The RL22 showed a little promise. I cleaned the barrel real good and then shot four rounds with RL25. I'm done. I came home and unloaded the 7828ssc rounds. RL25 shot .25" with average speed of 3360. Cooper feels and shoots great. Has one of the smoothest actions I have ever worked.

Attachments

• IMG_1318.JPG
    IMG_1318.JPG
    33.6 KB · Views: 73
  • IMG_1319.JPG
    IMG_1319.JPG
    32.9 KB · Views: 83
I wanna see the gun that makes those little bug holes!! I like the sounds of it's performance too, I think you have a winner!

Seriosly considering a 7STW for my next custom
hunting rifle build - please give me the pros and cons of 7STW over the 300WM.

Rifle will be used for elk & mule deer.

Thanks!!!

Seriosly considering a 7STW for my next custom
hunting rifle build - please give me the pros and cons of 7STW over the 300WM.

Rifle will be used for elk & mule deer.

Thanks!!!
What cons? All I see are pros. :D

Seriously though, the .300 WM is a great caliber. But so is the 7mm STW. I have two 7mm STW's, and numerous other caliber rifles, including .30 calibers, and larger and smaller calibers. I don't own a .300 WM because I haven't found anything the .300 WM can do, that the STW can't do. The only advantage I can see (a slight one at that), is that the .30 caliber has heavier and slightly more bullet choices than the 7mm. Other than that, I think a STW with a healthy dose of slow burning powder and a Berger 180 will effectively kill anything in N America...Including bears.

There's a guy on here who is a gunsmith and huntin guide (he goes by SkyKing) and he recommends the 7mm WSM to all his clients. He, and his customers have taken all sort of big game with the Berger 180's, bears, elk, & moose included.

With all that said, both are great calibers and should do just about anything you want them to do. But with the STW you have to go ahead and prepare yourself for the price of good Nosler brass. It's not cheap, but well-worth the money.

Other than brass cost and availability, all other reloading components will be equally priced.

I will say this, if you don't mind the brass prices for the STW, then you shouldn't be disappointed.

I've got two Coopers, and love both of them! If I didn't have a fine Remy 700 in 7STW, I'd not hesitate to buy a Cooper in it. Great rifles and a fair price. You buy it and I bet you'll never regret it.

I posted this in another thread. I just decided to see what a suppressor will do on the STW. In a word: FANTASTIC! I ain't gonna use that brake ever again! Could not believe what the suppressor did. I'm shooting 150s at 3200 and I don't need ear plugs. I went with the plugs, but they soon came off. Unlike the 223's sonic "crack" and up close; the STW's "boom" is way down range. I've shot suppressed in several other cal., but had no idea it would be this great on the STW. You gotta try it!

I have a dozen different caliber Rifles. From 204 through 450 but my two favorites in order are the 7 STW and 300 wsm. Both shoot flat and carry the energy well. I am in California so have to use non lead bullets. Mostly load the Cutting edge raptors or Maximus. Both bullet designs are excellent and put game down drt. The 7mm shoots the 152 Maximus to single ragged hole 5 shot groups at 300 yards and the wsm does nearly the same with the 180 laser raptor. Took my elk this month with the STW and the 152 Maximus. Never took a step. The bullet did as it is designed to do. Base went clear through and the petals sliced heart and both lungs.

I am in the hospital as I had a full knee replacement Yesterday. I worked up the load in Quickload and have it in a file on my computers. Hope to go home tonight or in the morning. Send me a pm with your email address and I will send you it 2 you. Just remember to back off and work up as it is within 2k psi of max at 70 degrees. I have had great results with the Cutting Edge bullets.A group of us here in California have been testing lead free for about 5 years. The CE bullets have performed the best on game overall. Next are the Lehigh Defense Controlled Chaos. We all found that the conventional mushrooming bullets blow through and expell most of their energy after exiting. We had game with perfect kill shots that ran great distances. The bullets that shed weight are much more successful with DRT shots. Most never even move. The transferred energy in the wound will just knock them off their feet. Much like the old standby Nosler Partition that shed the front section on penetration and the rear portion continued and exited. The Lehigh chaos does the same principle and are much less expensive. We all found that they don't group as well but for hunting a 2 inch group at 300 yards is acceptable.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.