Converting

Billy

I'm a little brain disfunctional so I cheat on the Fahrenheit to Celsius conversion(s).

To go from C to F, I double the C reading, subtract 10% and add 32. For example: 100 C x 2 = 200, then subtract 10%, 200 - 20 = 180, and finally add the 32, 180 + 32 = 212. This I can do in my head quite easily (it's a rather large head so there's room
smile.gif
). To go from F to C just reverse the entire procedure (sort of). Subtract 32, 212 - 32 = 180, add 10% , 180 + 18 = 198, then take 1/2 the result 198 / 2 = 99 degrees C (off by 1 degree but so close so what the hell we're doing it on the fly).

On MOA to Mil... some confusion but MTBA is correct as some folks do it. The conversion from inch to MOA is 1 MOA = 1.047 inch @ 100 yards. 1 Mil equals 3.44 MOA but 3.6 inches (at 100 yards). The reason to preface/stipulate the 100 yards is that inches is a linear measure and MOA is angular. 1 MOA is 1 MOA no matter the distance but it measures 1.047 inches at 100 yards, 2.094 inches at 200 yards, etc, etc.

Dave,
I have a much easier way to convert F to C. I just keep pushing the buttons on my Kestral or Sherpa until I get a number with a little C or F after it - that does it for me. Otherwise, don't have a fricking clue.
MOA and Mils are so different, pain in the butt to convert but sometimes you have to. Not easy for someone as challenged as I am, keep a little calculator in the TRGT data pack, only way I might get close.

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.