Converting Moa To Inches ??

Down Under Hunter

I have recently purchased the NF ballistic softwear and am familiarising myself with it. My current rifle will soon be replaced with a defensive edge 338 and NF NXS scope, but till then I want to use the pocket pc for referencing bullet drop in inches for my 300 weatherby mag. Can someone get clear in my mind the conversion calculation to convert the moa adjustment to inches ?? I know this question will be basic to some but I don't want to stuff this one up !!

Thanks all !!

1 moa is 1.04719756" @ 100yds
or (1moa/60)3600{there are 360 degrees in a circle X 100yds}= 1.04719756
1/8moa @ 100yds=0.13" 1/4moa @ 100yds=0.26"
1/8" @ 100yds=0.119moa 1/4" @ 100yds=0.238moa
The difference between 1moa and a shooters moa(1inch) is only 0.47" @ 1000yds
Hope this helps....he-he-he

That summed it up nicley. One other thing though is that 1 MOA at 100 yards and 1 MOA at 1000 yards in the inch department are different.

An easy calculation would be for a 1000 yard come up of 23 MOA would be:

23*(1000/100)*1.047 for 240.81 of bullet drop.

Also your night force in calibrated in .25 MOA per click adjustments. Dont use .25" at 1000 yards if you are going by inches. Use .25*1.047 for .26175" per click. Also use .26175*yardage/100 for your click value. Bullet drop in inches divided by that value.

Or you can simplify everything and just keep it to using MOA's and skip that much math.

I was making a chart for dial ups for a friend of mine and I started to ponder the same thing.....My Sierra program tells me the drop at 1000 yds with my standard 300 yard zero is *** inches. I was wondering if his Leoupold adjustements were in inches or true MOA. I called Leupold and asked them. They had no clue what I was even talking about:confused:!!! I asked for someone higher up on the food chain and got the same thing. MOA....INCH....SAME THING!!! For all practical purposes, at shorter and even medium ranges, thats true. But when we start talking 4 digit ranges it makes at least some difference, right....or am I just being anal!;)

THANKS,
TOD SOEBY

No youre not being anal, when you get into 100+ clicks, it adds up fast. I believe that the Lupy will have .25 MOA not inches but could be wrong.

The difference at 1K when 100 clicks are adjusted is over 5". Also most scopes arent perfectly .25 anyway. You should go out to 100 yards (exactly) and do a adjustment test to find out exactly what it is. Then you have an accurate number to go by.

. . . I believe that the Lupy will have .25 MOA not inches but could be wrong. . . .
Yes, they're in "MOA".

FWIW, the click values can vary minutely with scope model and exact point of the travel range. Some of the older Mark 4s, for example, get smaller as they add up. You should check each scope before assuming they're correct or doing any banking on their precision.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.