Contour and barrel length suggestions for 7mm RemMag

gamedog

Starting a new rifle project and am looking for some suggestions on barrel contour and length.

Looking to build a 7mm Rem Mag in a semi lightweight hunting combination. Not a heavy weight bench gun, yet something a guy can pack all day.

I 'm guessing a #3 - # 6 contoured barrel in 26"-27" length . Just dont want to loose anything (velocity,accuracy) by going to small.

Thanks

I wouldn't hesitate to do a 7mm RM on a #4 Lilja and I'd go all of 27". I have one that is fluted and it makes for a nice carry gun just don't put a scope on that will make it top heavy (like the big NSX's).

I have a light 7mm RM with a 24" barrel. I loose a little velocity, but it's 8lbs with scope and bipod! I have no problem getting a bit over 3000fps with the 160gr Accubond and 1/4 - 1/3 MOA groups if I keep the barrel cool. I shot a .19x" a while back from the prone position at 200yds. I wouldn't mind the barrel being a bit longer, but this is my pack anywhere rifle and I like having it handy.

I can get 3100fps with the 24" barrel, but it opens the groups to 3/4-1" at 100yds.

AJ

Last edited:
i'm planning a lightweight project and just talked to an MFIC at Kreiger barrels the other day. i'm building a 338 and their minimum size for a chrome molly barrel is 3 sizes smaller than a stainless barrel. i'm going with the CM because it's stronger than SS and a better value.

My current 7mag wears a #4 Shilen, 24" long. If I could do it over, I'd go with a #3.

I have in my safe a beautiful piece of steel from Krieger, a SS 7mm barrel ready to cut, crown, chamber, and install on my next project, 4 groove if I recall.

I think and OD at the muzzle of .630 is about perfect.

My next 7mag will have a 26" bbl. Don't get caught up on too much velocity loss. You mentioned it being a carry rifle, therefore, I'd not go any longer than 27" and 25-26" is about perfect.

Good luck.

I have just rebarelled my 30/06 to 7mm mag. I ended up going with a 26" No 5 contour. All up rifle weight is around 9 lb. It's not too bad to carry and the recoil is fine (no muzzle brake). A No 4 contour would be ok and a bit lighter.
I ordered a No 4 contour but the barrel maker I used has a different numbering system. Their No 4 is equvalent to a Lilja No 5.

Stu.

I would go with a # 5 or #6 Lilja contour (NOT strait taper) with a 24''minimum
and a 26'' Max length barrel non fluted.

Log on to Lilja's web site and look at the difference in the barrel weights from #3,s
to #6,s There is only 1 pound difference!! and like Magman said doint hang a 3 or 4
lb scope on it if weight is that much of an issue.

Most of my rifles weigh 10 to 12 lbs and thats not to heavy to carry plus
the steady you down when you are out of breath and dont have the best
rest available.

Just my opinion
J E CUSTOM

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.