Continue load work-up.....or am I there?

JL523

I began working up loads for two different guns. I acheived good accuracy on the lower loads and just stopped. I am not sure if I should try some of the hotter loads, or be happy with the results that I already have. I guess the only down side, I'll have slower velocities than the guns are capable of. I will sacrifice velocity for accuracy any day.....but didn't know if it would be worth my time to try more loads or not. If it wasn't so close to hunting season, I would try some more loads for sure.

The results:

.257 Weatherby Magnum; load range for H1000 and 115 gr. bullets per Barnes manual is 66.0 - 72.0 grains. I stopped at 68.0 grains on a .232" (center to center) 3-shot group at 100 yds.

.30-378 Weatherby Magnum; load range for RL22 and 180 gr. bullet per Barnes manual is 91.0 - 97.0 grains. I shot loads of 91, 91.5, 92.0, 92.5, and 93 gr. yesterday. My best group was with the 91.0 gr., but still not great. I went back today to shoot the 93.0 - 97.0 gr. loads. I also wanted to try some more 91.0 gr. loads since I thought I may have pulled a couple on that one yesterday. I shot the 91's this morning with a .480" (center to center) 3-shot group at 100 yds. I decided I was happy with that.......and left. But now I am wondering if I should try some of the hotter loads to squeeze out some more speed?? But at the same time, that starting load will be a lot easier on my brass and barrel.

What do you guys think?

I began working up loads for two different guns. I acheived good accuracy on the lower loads and just stopped. I am not sure if I should try some of the hotter loads, or be happy with the results that I already have. I guess the only down side, I'll have slower velocities than the guns are capable of. I will sacrifice velocity for accuracy any day.....but didn't know if it would be worth my time to try more loads or not. If it wasn't so close to hunting season, I would try some more loads for sure.

The results:

.257 Weatherby Magnum; load range for H1000 and 115 gr. bullets per Barnes manual is 66.0 - 72.0 grains. I stopped at 68.0 grains on a .232" (center to center) 3-shot group at 100 yds.

.30-378 Weatherby Magnum; load range for RL22 and 180 gr. bullet per Barnes manual is 91.0 - 97.0 grains. I shot loads of 91, 91.5, 92.0, 92.5, and 93 gr. yesterday. My best group was with the 91.0 gr., but still not great. I went back today to shoot the 93.0 - 97.0 gr. loads. I also wanted to try some more 91.0 gr. loads since I thought I may have pulled a couple on that one yesterday. I shot the 91's this morning with a .480" (center to center) 3-shot group at 100 yds. I decided I was happy with that.......and left. But now I am wondering if I should try some of the hotter loads to squeeze out some more speed?? But at the same time, that starting load will be a lot easier on my brass and barrel.

What do you guys think?

Sounds like you are in pretty good shape with the 257 but in my opinion the 30/378 needs
more powder density because of the case capacity.

I found excellent loads with H 869 and H 50bmg. my best load(Accurate) is with 117 grains
of H 50bmg and a 200gr Accubond. The fastest and still accurate is a load of 122grs with a
200 grain nosler partition at almost 3400 ft/sec (Hot but not bad).

It has always been my experience that any case shot better with the powder density around
95% to 100%.

Unless you are shooting beyond 500 or 600yards your loads will be fine ,but the big 30 will
Carry you a lot further loaded to its potencial.

Just my opinion
J E CUSTOM

I thought that on a couple of the 91 gr loads, I might have had a very minor hangfire. I thought I could hear the trigger break just as the gun fired......but not 100% sure. I may continue with my other loads (from 93-97.5 grains).

Thanks!

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.