Contender customs barrle

Discussion in 'Specialty Handgun Hunting' started by hunlee, Jan 16, 2008.

1. hunlee

hunlee Well-Known Member

I has been doing resurch and find they are four popular custom barrel companie worth doing buisnes with them being MGM>>>SSS>>>OTT>>>COYOTE but now hunlee is confused not noing what one to go with?I fine Coyote is cheepest barrel to be made but OTT is most expencive with SSK being rite under them and MGM about price of factory barrle.OH hunlee juss remember they is TC Custom shop barrel to.so they is five companie to deel with.So what one is the one to make a good long ranger for hunlee?

hunlee

2. Ernie

Ernie SPONSOR

If it was me, I would go with Mike Sirois OTT or MGM. If the time frame is not an issue, then Mike is surely a top choice. If you are wanting something quicker I would go with MGM.

3. hunlee

hunlee Well-Known Member

hunlee must do some figuring on time frame for barrel.Wood like to be shooting new barrel by spring.Hunlee will make some call on telaphone tomorrow.

hunlee

4. rtv900

rtv900 Well-Known Member

I dont know about all of them but I spoke with MGM twice now and what a bunch of nice people. I ordered one from them. I am sure it will be great.

5. dougm

dougm Well-Known Member

I would not buy from Coyote.
    I have a barrel from them and it was not chambered correctly. My .460 brass splits after the 3rd reload. Did a cast and the chamber is cut oversize at the breech.

I have read a lot of horror stories. It's like rolling dice you never know if the barrel you get from Paul is right or not.

Don't waste your time. You get what you pay for.

MGM, OTT, SSK I have barrels from all three and they all shoot well.

6. hunlee

hunlee Well-Known Member

Good thing you say something about Coyote barrel as hunlee was going to save few dollar and buy from him......junk barrel is not for hunlee.Now going to look into other companiey

many thankyou from hunlee

7. ammohouse

ammohouse Well-Known Member

I only have 1 coyote barrel and its a good shooter!
    TC facotry barrels that I have are shooting pretty good too.
    I have a new SSK barrel, but its too cold to go to the range.
    I want to order an MGM soon.
    Check out Specialty Pistols site...tons of info on there.
    I don't post here much, I just read as much as I can.

Why do you refer to yourself in 3rd person all the time?

8. rtv900

rtv900 Well-Known Member

I was going to ask that too.

9. hunlee

hunlee Well-Known Member

So anyone else have idea for hunlee?Still wanting and ready to buy barrel.Talk to nice lady at mgm and allso talk to J.B. Jones at ssk butt hunlee still undecide about barrel purchase?Maybe hunlee shood look into buyin a Encore so big and bad caliber can be had for a long ranger

hunlee

10. 338hammer

338hammer Well-Known Member

Custom barrels

Hunlee

Pretty tough to beat MGM for the price and quality. Though I make my own barrels I have welded their barrel lugs on my barrels. I would recommend the Encore application over the contender every day. The contender has is place. I switched to the Encore frame when it first came out and never looked back. I shoot the 223AI on the contender and Encore and the 35 Newton and 416 Taylor on the Encore.

11. Ernie

Ernie SPONSOR

hunlee,
    The Encore will give you a lot more horsepower than the Contender.
    Since you are looking toward something new, you might consider a MOA Maximum (falling block action with interchangeable barrels) or Wait a couple of months for the new McGowen action to come out and have a SP built on.
    I have an MOA with a couple of barrels (22-250AI, 6.5-284, & 7mm Rem Mag Imp)and my son has a 6mm-284 MOA coming before the match. I also will be getting one of the McGowen's as well. 338 Hammer will be the person I get my stock(s):D from.

Personally, I would rather shoot a bolt rig or a falling block SP over a break-open any day, but that is just my personal preference. Others will feel just the opposite.

12. Ernie

Ernie SPONSOR

With the Contender the 6mm- 7x30 waters Imp/ 6mmx 30-30AI
    Or the 30-30 or 7x30 Waters case necked down to 6.5 and improved are about as good as you will get in a Contender.
    May want to use 375 Win brass and then neck down from there.

In the 6.5 the 130 Berger VLD may be one of the best choices if it is accurate in your barrel.