Contender 223 ??

gamehauler

I have a TC generation 1.
One of my barrels is a 16" 223
What type of range could I cleanly take a Coues WT?
What factory round would be best.
I am looking at getting a Burris 2X7 scope for it.
I really thank this site for all I have learned since joining.
Mike

I have a TC generation 1.
One of my barrels is a 16" 223
What type of range could I cleanly take a Coues WT?
What factory round would be best.
I am looking at getting a Burris 2X7 scope for it.
I really thank this site for all I have learned since joining.
Mike

GH,
First of all, I have never hunted Coues before, and I have never used a 22 centerfire for deer of any kind.
If you know of factory ammo that has worked well with coues, then subtract about 300 fps for using a SP. Talk to those who have taken coues and ask in their opinion the max range of said 223 ammo. Your max distance will be shorter by at least 100 yards IMO.
A call to Eric @ Berger may be helpful as well as Hornady with their heavier AMAX's.
Depending on the twist rate of the barrel will determine what bullets you can use.
Sorry I couldn't be more helpful.

Maybe should call state in witch you hunt to see if 223 legal there for big game.223 very good for varmint and Hunlee kill many crow,gofor,woodchuck an the like but never bigger game animal.Hunlee not saying not to do it but some state say no with 22 caliber.

hunlee

Thanks for the replys
Yes I can use a 223 in Arizona
but I am not sure that it is enough of a round for what I want.

Redbone thanks for the offer but I think I will keep it for javelina and
verms.
Could you guys give me a better idea for a deer round without going to a custom barrel that would be good to say 300yds.

I would like to have a 7mm-08 since I have this in my Daughters
riffle and hope to start loading in the futher.
Thanks again everyone on this site.
Mike

Ive read quite a bit of success in the 22cal with the Barnes tsx projectiles on deer. Maybe worth a look.

Maybe you will retern with report 223 for hunting big game animal?Seeing how hunlee has 223 allready maybe 223 wood be great for a long ranger.223 will take out gofor and chuck at long,with rite bullet no resun hunlee couldunt kill big game too.

hunlee

Contender 223

GH

I have a friend that has been taking his daughters out each year using both the 55grain Remingtons and 60 gr partitions ( reload)on deer to 150 yards. Neck and body shots are both fatal quickly. The average weight of a sitka blacktail buck is 150 pounds. I know on one trip another mans son took a very nice 200 pounder with one shot through the ribs with the same Remington soft point bullet.

For the Contender you won't be able to use a 7-08.
For the Contender you might take a look at 6.5 JDJ, or 6.5x30/30. The 6.5 bullets will open well at reduced velocities and fly flat out to 200 yards for deer.

right load and bullet 250 is no problem with a t/c
I shoot 223 and 204 and 200-250 yrds are not a problem

Thanks for the replies.
I have been doing some research
and am now looking at getting a 7-30 Waters
for my Deer barrel.
If I can not find one at an affordable price
before deer season I will have the 223 ready.
What about 30-30?
I have a 14" 30-30 barrel also.
Which one would be better for longer range deer.
Thanks,
Mike

Thanks for the replies.
I have been doing some research
and am now looking at getting a 7-30 Waters
for my Deer barrel.
If I can not find one at an affordable price
before deer season I will have the 223 ready.
What about 30-30?
I have a 14" 30-30 barrel also.
Which one would be better for longer range deer.
Thanks,
Mike

The 7X30 waters it better than the 30-30 but Both of them in a T/C are REAL good choices. The 30-30 is cheaper if you just want to try store bought ammo to start with. I have a .223 Encore pistol that loves "cheap" store bought ammo (<1/4MOA @100 yds). That aint bad at all. Who knows you might get lucky too...

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts