Considering reloading...

crediger

Hi I'm new to this site and am amazed at the amount of information available on this site... I just recently aquired a browning a-bolt 2 in 7mm wsm and want to start making my own loads. I am wondering what set ups for reloading you all would suggest for a beginner, i would prefer not to have to shell out alot of cash and am considering buy used equipment to start off... any suggestions would be welcome..

First off, welcome aboard, next RUN AWAY before you're hooked. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Seriously, it's hard to beat the Rockchucker supreme kit, has most everything you need to get started, will probably run in the $250 range. You could pick up used stuff off of ebay, but by the time you pay shipping for 7-10 different items you're savings will probably be minimal.

The Lyman kit is also another option I have the RCBS and have had great service out of it for 35 years.Son-in-law has the Lyman kit, plenty of extras and a big strong press.
You will not save money reloading but you will get a very precise load for your particular rifle.The reason you will not save money reloading is you will shoot so much and have a great time doing it, probably increase your skill level as well...Welcome to the show! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

I bought a rcbs jr on ebay and I load 338-378 weatherby I have no complaints and a rcbs 10-10 scale it cost me $90.00 for both and the die's $29.00 and a bullet puller $12.00 with collet.The powder Imr 7828 $18.00, primers cci 250 primers 100 $2.20 ,Bullets hornady sst 225 gr 100 bullets $20.00 Four box'es of bullets would of cost me $400.00 so for me it pays off.I had 3 box's of weatherby shells that I payed $94.00 a box plus tax's and I'm useing that brass right now I've.re load it 4 time all ready.

Thanks for the replies, i have decided that i'm going to get an rcbs press since it seems everyone that i have talked to has nothing but praise for them. i haven't decided which press i want to buy i'm leaning towards the rockchucker supreme kit, i'm also wondering what other essentials i will need for reloading, i have more rifles that i can reload for, sortof a collector, but these 7mm rounds are what pushed me to consider reloading ($50 and up for a box)

Welcome abord, You might look at the buy,sell swap trade borrow section. Len has a press or two on there. I like redding presses and he has some good prices on them. You might want to get on the midway web site ( www.midwayusa.com) and get a general idea of what is what. When you decide to tackle this additive reloading stuff get yourself a good manual. I suggest Sierra Bullets manual it is an excellant source and they have a great group of guys in their ballistic help line. I have asked them tons of questions over the years and they have always been an excellant source of information. There are a great bunch of folks right here and they are always willing to give their two cents worth.
Hope this helps, RH

A caliper is a must.
You'll want full length dies from what i've read at shortmag .com <-- no longer an active site.
Ask for some opinions on the best powder to use for the bullet weight plan on using.H 1000 hodgden powder looks 'the' powder for 7mm wsm ,according to my Lee precision manual.
The 7mm wsm is an absolutely great cartridge -it's my favorite for sure.It packs lite and packs plenty of punch for most big game hunting in the continintal U.S..
For longrange work it appears the 162gr AMax will be hard to beat ,i've heard good things about the accubond also and they're very accurate in my 25-06.
The rcbs supreme kit is great you'll be very happy you took up this hobby and won't be able to conceive shooting a factory round.When you see someone shooting factory stuff you'll think -----------rookie...Best of luck Mike

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.