considering a .260 project

bcd

I am considering building a 260rem or a 260ai, but the only action that I have avalible is a 30-06 rem sps. I did consider a 6.5-06, but I believe that I would like the shorter 260 better, plus I have a 7 and 8 year old that could benifit from it. What i am asking is could a 260rem or a 260ai reliably be built on an 06 action?

Bryan,
Yes you can build on a 06 length action, you will have plenty of magazine length, plus if you use the long high BC bullets you will have no troubles with the feeding. If the mag box is too long for the bullets you choose to shoot, then a spacer is used in the mag box. You will need a 260 rem follower and spring.
If you want to rechamber later for the 6.5-06 then the rifle and action is ready.
Dave

I second the idea of building the 260 on a long action ,you'll have plenty of magazine to seat the long bullets way out for better case life and more case volume.
I built a 308 on a LA Rem 700 with the idea that I was gonna shoot the 210gr Bergers , ended up shooting the 190's but they would have never fit in a Short action mag.
And like it was mentioned if you shoot the barrel out or feel the need for more speed then you can rechamber to the 6.5-284 , 6.5-06 , or the 264 win mag and several others.

I'm currently having a 260 built ,but on a short action ,I decided against the improved version due to the added steps in making the brass hence eating up barrel life. I plan to use 308 Lapua brass necked down , the chamber is a tight so I'll probably have to turn the necks a little maybe only 60-70% from what the smith says , if that is at all.

Ballisticaly , look at the BC of a 140 gr A-max and look at the speed you can get 2600-2800 , if you campair it to a 300 Win mag shooting a 220gr SMK its realy close if not a little better but with a hell of alot less recoil , noise , bowder and longer barrel life (ask Shawn Carlock) I talked to him a bit about why he shoot this caliber in comps.

Thanks for the info so far. I have access to a 260 reamer free of charge or I can fork out for the ai reamer, so I am now leaning more towards the 260rem. I am probably going to do the work myself (first full build). So far I'm looking at a Lija 3 groove sendaro or #8 contour on a rem 700 action (squared and lapped) with either a Mcmillan adj htg stock or a H.S. Precision Rem tactical. I'll try and contact Shawn Carlock and get a little more information about this caliber.

Bryan

What barrel length?

I would go for a 26-28" By using the long action you will be able to take advantage of the 260 capacity.

My F-class gun has a 30" broughton on it and COAL for 139's was like 2.90" Easily get 2950.

I switched over to 120 Cauturucio's(COAL- 3.010") and am pushing them comfortably 3160. This load trumps the 139 load. It only takes me 20moa from 100 yards to 1000 at 4200ASL

With a 26 or 28" barrel you should be in the 2800fps range with the 140class bullets and easily get 3000fps with 120gr class bullets.

Berger is coming out with a 130gr bullet which IMO is an ideal weight for the 260.

Also by going longer COAL you can use slower powders and get the speed.

H4350 and H4831 isn't the end all be all for the 260.

You won't gain that much by going AI to the 260. By seating the COAL out more you will be getting AI performance without the work.

Right now i'm thinking 28" barrel. I am still trying to learn as much as I can about this cartridge. I was looking something different with lighter recoil. I currently have a .270 Win, .300 RUM 30-06, and have access to .308, and 2 .300Win mags any time that I want. With my 8yr old really showing interest I thought this might be a good choice, and I could take it along also.

Bryan,

I believe that you will be real happy with the 260 in almost any platform. I run a Hart 24" barrel + brake on my comp 260 with the 140 AMAX and H4350 to 2818 fps with no problem and got to 2890 before there was any noticeable bolt lift. Everyone is giving you good adivise, the LA is no problem just gives you more room and options. The components you outlined sound like a good package. The 260 is my favorite small cartridge it is tough to beat for long range work in its power zone.

I agree with Shawn, the 260 or 260ai Is a great light gun.
The 140 a-max is the preffered pill in my gun also.

Shawn, are you able to spot your own shots with the break on your gun? I have unbreaked #8 @26" I can't see the actual impact, just a split second after dust or debree cloud.

I have shot both the 6.5-06 in a 24" hunting rig and the 6.5 Mystic (my version of the 260AI) in a 30" F class rifle.

Both push a 140gr class bullet to 2900 to 2950fps very accurately. They are very effective for moderate LR hunting too.

The 6.5-06 was braked and the Mystic is 18lbs. Am able to spot impacts (closer with the braked rifle of course).

If you build a heavy rifle, your kid will have no issue shooting it. My 18lbs rifle just gives a push similar to a 22/250 in a light varmint rifle.

my 6.5-06 loved the SST's and my Mystic loves the Lapua. Both shoot H4831SC as their best powder and CCI BR2 for primer.

I would look for a push feed action if planning to use an AI and feed from the mag. i really like the new center feed Savage actions and might just build myself a Mystic for hunting.

Some controlled feed actions don't like sharp shouldered cases.

Either way, you will enjoy the rifle.

Jerry

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.