Confirmation of Ladder Testing!

RMulhern

Jason Baney gives a good description of his method of determining an accurate load over on Accurate Shooter.com using what he refers to as 'Round Robin' (Ladder Testing) shooting as per various selected trial loads he makes up. My method is a little different...but it works also. Rather than shooting several loads all at one shooting session as Jason does...I elect to basically do the same thing...as far as shooting several loads which have developed within a 'window' but I elect to do my testing over a period of days whereby I shoot early morning when mirage is virtually nil and with no wind. I'm blessed with owning my own range back to 1500 yards so it's no difficult thing for me to shoot when the conditions are favorable. I've been shooting early the past 5 days and confirmation was made this morning on my final load for my 6.5x47Lapua. I fire two sighters on a spare target frame before I change over to another target for the 5 test rounds. The photo below shows the 5 rounds fired this AM. The shot toward 12 o/clock within the 10 ring sized plate was the first shot and I came down 1/4 MOA and fired the remaining 4 rounds which impacted as seen. Total vertical for these 4 rounds is 1.250". My final load is 38.3 grs. Varget, BR4 primer, 123 gr. Sierra HPBT w/Meplat closed, Lapua cases and bullet seated .375" into the case. COAL=2.742". Bullet into lands .010". Barrel is Kreiger 1-8.5 ROT.

Jason Baney gives a good description of his method of determining an accurate load over on Accurate Shooter.com using what he refers to as 'Round Robin' (Ladder Testing) shooting as per various selected trial loads he makes up. My method is a little different...but it works also. Rather than shooting several loads all at one shooting session as Jason does...I elect to basically do the same thing...as far as shooting several loads which have developed within a 'window' but I elect to do my testing over a period of days whereby I shoot early morning when mirage is virtually nil and with no wind. I'm blessed with owning my own range back to 1500 yards so it's no difficult thing for me to shoot when the conditions are favorable. I've been shooting early the past 5 days and confirmation was made this morning on my final load for my 6.5x47Lapua. I fire two sighters on a spare target frame before I change over to another target for the 5 test rounds. The photo below shows the 5 rounds fired this AM. The shot toward 12 o/clock within the 10 ring sized plate was the first shot and I came down 1/4 MOA and fired the remaining 4 rounds which impacted as seen. Total vertical for these 4 rounds is 1.250". My final load is 38.3 grs. Varget, BR4 primer, 123 gr. Sierra HPBT w/Meplat closed, Lapua cases and bullet seated .375" into the case. COAL=2.742". Bullet into lands .010". Barrel is Kreiger 1-8.5 ROT.

What is your current velocity? Have you shot anything fleshy yet with the bullets pointed? How do they compare to the Lapua Scenar 123's? I really like this round and want to learn more. What is your SD and ES? It's interesting that you stuff the bullet in the lands. Do you have problems ejecting loaded rounds? Have you noticed if your OAL changes as a result of unloading a loaded round?

Tank

liltank

At present my Oehler chrony 35P is being reworked but in talking with a few other buddies that are shooting near this same load the 123 should be cooking along somewhere near 2950 fps. As for stuffing the bullet around .010" into the lands....no I have not extracted any to see if the OAL has changed but I wouldn't be surprised if it does but frankly...I don't worry about that! I use a Wilson In-line seating tool when seating the bullets which assures proper alignment to the case and my idea of being into the lands is that in doing so...for MY OWN SATISFACTION...this assures me that the bullet is aligned properly within the bore! I guess this is some 'throw-back' from all the years that I've shot paper patched bullets through my BPCR rifles as those bullets are bore diameter....and seated much akin to 'breech-seating'! At any rate...the 123 gr. Sierra HPBT all seem to seat with the same amount of pressure into the case and it doesn't take hardly any pressure with the Wilson tool to seat them. I haven't shot many of the Scenar bullets at this date but what few I have shot well! The case head for the 6.5x47L is the same as the .308 Winchester.:Dgun)

Have you tried or know anybody that has tried the Norma Match. It is a great price for 500 bullets on Midway and are being compared to Berger. What are your thoughts? What length barrel do you use and recommend. I am thinking cutting it too 24", but may leave it at 26". Do you use a muzzle break so you can spot shots?

Tank

Last edited:
Have you tried or know anybody that has tried the Norma Match. It is a great price for 500 bullets on Midway and are being compared to Berger. What are your thoughts? What length barrel do you use and recommend. I am thinking cutting it too 24", but may leave it at 26". Do you use a muzzle break so you can spot shots?

Tank

I've got a 500 box of Norma bullets but haven't shot any to date! I think....those are made by Berger...for Norma!! Other than having to possibly seat them a little deeper into the case to get them to chamber properly I think they'll shoot OK. Leave the barrel at 26" and shoot it and see how it does before you cut it. I don't use a MB; totally worthless with a cartridge/rifle combo IMO that has no more recoil than the 6.5x47L has. I can see single shots in the black from 1400 yds. with a good spotting scope on a decent day! I shoot early and late to avoid the mirage...just so I can see the shot impacts! No problem seeing clusters like onto this:

I was thinking muzzle break for my 63yr old mom. She wants to shoot long range and I don't have anything with tame enough recoil for her to handle. Thanks for all the info.

Tank

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.