Concentricity guage

brokenharley711

Which is the best, or perhaps better, concentricity guage? I know it's actually runout so i'm a little leary about what to buy if they can't even name it correctly. I see the Hornady say you can correct the runout with their model but i'm somewhat inclined to buy the sinclair model as they are consistent with their quality product.

just looking for relevant opinions/experiences before i buy.

thanks.

Sinclair is lately selling all kinds of crap(inferior to their own line). I don't know what's up with that.. And you're right in that the terms are mixed up to the point of sillyness. Even Sinclair misnames their tools.
But their original runout gauge(bearings/dial) is as good as runout measurement gets.
You get it, and get your ammo reading low runout on it, and then your right. Simple as that.

As far as concentricity gauges? They all do the same, with none providing much of anything real.
People are just fooling themselves with these.

I suppose based on personal experience, rather than personal opinion? In my experience, concentricity gages do indeed help a knowledgeable handloader make better ammo but it's not automatic. All the gage can do is tell us what amount of runout we have, what we do with that info is up to us.

My experience is that Sinclair's gage, even with the less expensive dial indicator, is one of the best. The NECO is perhaps THE best, overall, but it's too costly for a lot of us AND it checks more things than many of us care about. My brief experience with the RCBS tool (Case Master?) left me unsatisfied for consistancy and smoothness of operation. (Perhaps I wasn't using it correctly?)

My OPINION is I want to learn where runout comes into my reloading so I can correct it at the source. I have no personal use for any devices such as the Hornady that promises to bend a crooked round straight.

Last edited:
Yes, that's the real value in the gage, pointing out that there is a problem. Working back through the steps to eliminate the problem is the trick, not trying to fix it after the fact by bending it to what it should have been in the first place.

If you want the very best, get the NECO or Gracey. Both are around $225. I use a Hollands (advertiser here), but I do believe the older Sinclair might be a tad better.

I have the Sinclair and have the digital indicator. It's worked great and is simple to use.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.