Computer problems

Brent

Well, the laptop was on today, probably downloaded the email too, but when I came home the screen was just black. I can just barely see images on the screen with a light held up to it, but not enough to see the pointer or read anything on it. I've got no idea what's wrong with it, but to those that emailed me today (3-30), I don't know when I'll be able to read the mail again.

I'm no computer expert but I think you have problems with the bedding around the lug.
smile.gif

Brent

Some models have a little light strip that back lights the display, sounds like that light strip has failed or lost power. About a year ago I had a Toshiba that did the same thing, had it fixed under warranty.

The LCD is fine as you can barely see but the light is burned out, an inexpensive repair I believe.

Brent,
Haven't you been jerked around by computers in the past? Hasn't a computer caused you to waste a bunch of time, total frustration, no idea what in hell is wrong and why it is doing what it is doing? For example, haven't you ever wasted three hours trying to print labels - then read the **** book and found out that the program does not print labels! Haven't you ever had to get a ten-year old kid to fix something on your computer? Way down deep, don't you hate the frigging things?

Here is your chance... Hang that sucker on your target frame at 1000 yards and give it a tune-up with some 300 grain Matchkings, any one of your big boomers would do a great job
grin.gif

Just whistful thinking, hope you get it fixed quickly and cheaply.

Brent

No problem!

After about 20 years of being a computer geek I've seen a lot of things.

BTW, three things I know about computers for certain;

1) They can sense fear!

2) They run on smoke! If the smoke ever gets out the computer will stop working. I've been eye witness to this happening.

3) There would be a lot less computer problems if the keyboard (now termed "human intervace device") had not been invented.

Yep, you've got 'em figured out.
grin.gif

Well, looks like the warranty says it's got to go on a trip to Texas for repair or replacement.
rolleyes.gif
Glad I still had the warranty, thought it had expired but I lucked out with a 3 year deal.

The guy at the computer shop asked if I had a warranty on it still, said he charged $250 minimum just to crack one of them there laptops open! I called tech support and shipping cost was $40, everything else is covered. Brian said they'd more than likely loose all my data and ship me a new computer instead of fix the 2 year old unit. I yanked the hard drive so he could back it up for me! Should have something back in a week or two, so they say...

Thanks for the tips!
smile.gif

It's a love hate thing, that's for sure!

Thanks Dave.
I would never have noticed it myself, but my wife told me you could see it was still on with the light up close to it, sure enough. I'll take it over and see what the experts can do for me.

I had been noticing that the display would flicker when the screen would wiggle back and forth, might just be a connection problem is all. I thought of taking it apart to see if I could clean it, and it needs it, but I think I'll have it checked out this time.

Len,
You may be right, little bedding compound on a connector might just do the trick! Sometimes, I think my wife would like to put a nice layer across my keybord and close it!!
grin.gif

I'm not quite frustrated enough to shoot it... yet, but it's beggin for it.

Brent,

The laptop in my work truck went belly up a while back. No big thing, just a couple of the drivers went south. I've had the same problem, with my home PC a couple of times. Just reinstall the drivers and you are up and running in less than 30 minutes.

So I called the computer Guru's and asked for the driver CD. No dice, they said I needed administrative clearance. So they called the local "communications Expert" I like the old man, but he hired in 30 years ago to fix VHF radios and he hates computers. He promptly yanked it out of the truck and said it'd have to go to Phoenix to "reimage" the hard drive.

"It should be back in a couple of days" he said. Thankfully, I insisted on getting the spare laptop. He sent the old one in just before Valentines day and I haven't seen it since.
shocked.gif

The old one ran about 56.6k on the modem. This new one probably doesn't hit a 14 connection. Programs close in the middle of being used and the things locks up for hours at a time, for no reason at least once a day.

I wish you better luck than I've had getting a laptop repaired.

DB,
My wife's computer works, really slow is all... needs windows reinstalled. Been a month or so since the last clean install, but windows ME sucks, I need XP for it too.
I'll watch the mail.
grin.gif

Tim,
Sounds simple, if I could see what's on the screenin order to reinstall the drivers, Brian's going to hook it up to his monitor today and see if he can get a picture. Hooking it up to my wife's monitor it didn't work, but he said I may have had the screen setting on the monitor set wrong is all???

I've got an S vidio cable to hook it into the TV, but the end that plugs to the laptop is slightly different. I'd be stylin with a 55" monitor... can't take that to the range with the Oehler 43 though.
grin.gif

If I can get an external monitor to work I'll reload the drivers and see what happens, appreciate the tip, Tim.

I hope you computer wasn't a Gateway brand!

This laptop had a slower connection than the desktop PC too, I got about 40 and the wife's about 51k speed, different modem was all I could ever find, both internal speeds were set to the same.

Good luck getting the old puter back! My wife's locks up, runs slow, won't run scan disk or defrag, a royal pain in the arse! I'm lucky if I can send this reply successfully!

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts