Competition in Washington State

Josh1982

So I picked up a Rem 700 in .300 REM that Shawn Carlock built and now I've been bitten by the competition bug and want to get started localish in state but have yet to google a for sure source of what to compete in and where to go. Can any of the WA resident shooters help me out? The setup I have is a full stock Rem 700 with a Leupold VX-III 4.5x14 40mm LR optic. I am just as interest in just flat out learning the art of the well placed shot as much as the competing part so if there is a place to crawl before I walk, I would certainly appreciate the assistance!

Josh

I don't know what part of Washington you are from, but Missoula Mt. has a 1000 yd. benchrest club that has factory class type competition as well as souped up rail guns and the like. They shoot one weekend a month starting in April and going thru August which is their championship shoot.

I live in the Seattle area, but for one weekend a month. I might be tempted to start road tripping. Give me a reason to not work 7 days a week.....Is there a website or anything for that particular group?

Sure, Washington State has a very active group of rifle competitors.

For NRA highpower & F-class matches you'll find a great schedule at the Washington State Rifle & Pistol Association web site. Note that at this time of year, the 2008 schedule is concluded, and the 2009 schedule is not yet likely to be firmed up. Here's a link to their web site:

Home

I live in Wenatchee and normally just shoot here at our 600 yard range. There is a good, but windy, 1000 yard range near Tri-Cities (Rattlesnake). I've also shot at Paul Bunyan range, the 300 yard range up near Bellingham called "Plantation" and of course at the Machias 500 yard range. There are some truly top-level competitors here in both conventional prone and F-Class matches including members and former members of the U.S. Palma team.

There used to be some 1000 yard matches at Fort Lewis, but that pretty well ended after 9/11 when the military got just a tad busy with other things.

There are also a number of "tactical" or "practical" competitions around the state and the Pacific Northwest. These matches are held at less regular intervals than the NRA matches. Best place I know of to learn of upcoming tactical/practical matches is at West Coast Tactical web site:

West Coast Tactical

Every spring we hold a "tactical" type match here at the Wenatchee range. It's usually a real hoot! There is also a traveling West Coast Tactical match that moves around from range to range year after year. Generally a lot of fun. Sometimes Idaho holds a State Sniper Championship, and I've shot that at the Blacks Creek Range outside of Boise.

There are also matches every summer in Chilliwack British Columbia. It's not all that difficult to take a rifle into Canada for a match - just get your paperwork done ahead of time.

So - lots of F-class (supported prone) matches up and down Washington State, and sporadic tactical/practical matches as well.

I don't know a thing about the local benchrest matches, except that they exist.

Feel free to contact me for more info - I'm always trying to build match attendance and help get new shooters into competition!

Regards, Guy

Last edited:
BTW, I just finished reading "The Ultimate in Rifle Accuracy" over Christmas at the in-laws and it's excellent. Even if you don't shoot benchrest you'll learn a bunch.

longershot

I live near helena MT I would be interested in more info where would I find out more about it and what are the specs for factory guns I have a 7 rem that is semi custom and weighs 11 pnds with scope would that put me out of factory?

thanks adam

Addie52

Yeah, I have a rulebook and you should be o.k. for factory class, get in touch and I'll give you more specifics if your'e interested.

Just to add to what Guy has said. In the Portland area we have two ranges that hold competitions,

Tri County Gun Club, TCGC.org, We hold a Ture 600 yard benchrest match about once a quarter. We will have one the 17th of Jan, and then 21st of March.

In Feb TCGC wil hold a tactical "sniper" match, but I think they only allow 30-06 power and below.

Second club is Douglas Ridge Gun Club, Douglas Ridge Rifle Club
They have a three shooters over there on the US F-class team. I know they are holding a tactical rifle match and f-class matches. They're the only range in the Metro area that has a 1000 yrd range.

I know its a drive, but every 3 rd sat at TCGC we have a 600 yrd shoot. Not a real competition, just some guys shooting and having a good time. I would say the Saturdays we are holding a match, if your not shooting in the BR match then, its not a good weekend to show up. Sorry, but we do not hold a "stock" rifle class. Just Heavy and Light gun.

If you have any questions, give me a PM and I can give you my cell number.

Willys46

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.