comparo - two 300 wby setups

Discussion in 'Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics' started by TommyTheGun, Jul 11, 2006.

1. TommyTheGun

TommyTheGun New Member

Looking at one of two 300 Wby setups to buy for hunting at ranges less than 450 yards. My "must have" is 1 MOA, but I'd really like a shade better. Please comment with your relevant experience, things to watch for, etc:

Thing 1: off the rack Accumark-
    Is this a free floated barrel or does it have the Wby pressure point found on some of their other synthetic stocks ? Have you 300 Accumark drivers had to doctor your guns to get what you wanted and how so?

Thing2: "Year 1 Mark V action" (Oregon?), SS 26" round Wby barrel (unknown) + brake, McMillan stock (unknown model), glass bedded. Barrel was cryo treated aftermarket.
    This is F/S (good price) from a reliable guy but I have some basic Q's: how "should" the bedding have been done and what would it be looking to fix/improve? Since the stock was swapped from wood - what should I look at in particular or watch for on this gun?

Thanks -

2. cinch

cinch Well-Known Member

I had an Accumark 338/378 and it was free floated. It was an awesome gun and shot a clover 5 shot at 100. I would reccomend this gun if you wanted a factory gun that will shoot less than an inch. They also have a Krieger barrel.

3. sewwhat89

sewwhat89 Well-Known Member

I loaded up some 130 gr Barnes X and TSX for a 270 WM. Both rounds shot around 0.5 MOA. I was able to shoot a 7mm WM a couple years ago with factory WM ammo and 150 gr NP handloads that both would shoot 1/2" groups at 100. The NPs were used to take a couple elk and several deer off my deer lease.

Firsthand, I have not seen a Weatherby that didn't shoot well.

I do not know about AccuMarks. Both of these rifles are Mark Vs.

4. getsmart

getsmart Well-Known Member

My .300 Accumark had a terrible first round flier problem and inconsistent accuracy. I had the action bedded and now the rifle shoots sub MOA out to 400 yards, then opens up after that.

I like the rifle, but I am having a custom .300 built by Kirby at the moment.

eric

5. Hired Gun

Hired Gun Well-Known Member

Is the Accumark free floated? Yes. No pressure point.

Have you 300 Accumark drivers had to doctor your guns to get what you wanted and how so?
    I spent 5 minutes with an allen wrench to get the trigger down to 1 pound.

With some loads it would shoot .5's and my 257 Accumarks shoot better than that. On my 300 Wby Accumark I was having a little trouble getting the 200 grain Accubonds to shoot right so I skim bedded it and between that and making a seating depth change it now shoots .5" at 100 and 1.5" at 332 yards cross canyon. I only got in one group before the wind cam up and opened it up. Keep in mind I do all my shooting one handed like this and the wind really moves the van around.
    [​IMG]

6. TommyTheGun

TommyTheGun New Member

Thanks All, for the info.

Hired Gun- good to see you wear a seatbelt, does that help with recoil?

Some extra info- I picked up Thing 2 for go at the range (seller is an understanding sort of guy). It's a first year stainless Mark V from Saco in Maine (not Oregon). Barrel has been setback/faced for min freebore. Does that imply the chamber shoulders were tweaked to retain proper headspace? Anyone have good/not experience with these barrels?

Has McMillan monte-carlo stock, bedded action, floated barrel. Has Burris 4x16 PosiLock (1"... was hoping for 30mm). Builder sez it likes 130gr X, but I'd really like to run 165/180 in it... so... we'll see what happens at the range I guess.