compact rifle

Discussion in 'Long Range Hunting & Shooting' started by shooterpunk2, Jun 14, 2008.

1. shooterpunk2

shooterpunk2 Well-Known Member

Hey guys, I've been thinking lately about a compact rifle such as the ruger compact, or browning micro hunter. Have any of you used these rifles much? I think these rifles would be great to carry around the mountainsespecially since more often than not my shooting ranges are about 150 yards and less. But i still want to be able to shoot out to 400 yards or so if the shot presented itself. I've thinking about either the 7mm-08 or .308 cuz i do hunt elk as well. Do the velocities really suffer in these shorter barrels? Also I noticed that the Tikka t3 weighs about the same as these but is a normal sized rifle, so i have also considered that too. So i guess my question is about the velocity and if people are getting decent accuracy and if its worth the loss of velocity for a handier rifle? Thanks fellas!

2. timl

timl Well-Known Member

I had one in 7-08, it was pretty accurate. If you're a big guy, it will probably be too small for you. I think you'll be happier with a full size rifle, even if it weighs a pound or two more.

3. MontanaRifleman

MontanaRifleman Well-Known Member

You'll get more efficient powder burn out of a shorter case such as a WSM, The 270 WSM might be good for you? I have a friend who has a T3 Lite in 270 WSM and he loves it. Barrel length, 22 7/16", overall length 42 1/2".

4. davewilson

davewilson Well-Known Member

get an Encore or handi-rifle. very short and compact. if you want a bolt action, just build a bullpup. do a search for 338/300 RUM Bullpup. mine has a 29" barrel and brake with the entire rifle only 40" long.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2008
  5. shooterpunk2

Im not a very big guy, 5'8" 185lbs. But i have been looking at the tikkas as well becuase they are very light too. True with the encore and handi being compact as well, I didnt really think about it, thanks guys!

6. Joel Russo

Joel Russo Official LRH Sponsor

Dave Wilson's Bullpup...

[​IMG]

7. J E Custom

J E Custom Well-Known Member

Shooterpunk2

Looks like you have a lot to think about so I'll just add to the list.

Look at the Remingtion Model 7 laminate in 7/08.

The 7/08 does well with a short barrel 18" to 20" and has better
    balistics than the 308 win parent case.In fact the 308 was designed
    around a 20" barrel for the military.

My 7/08 has a 20" barrel and my Varget load with the 120gr nbt has
    a velocity of 3158 ft/sec.

In my opinion the SAUM's and WSM's need more barrel because of the
    amount of powder 70grs as apposed to 45grs for the 7/08.

I have killed deer beyond 500yrds and hogs beyond 600yrds with the 7/08
    and for Elk size animals I would use the 160gr accubond .

Just my 2 cents
    J E CUSTOM

8. shooterpunk2

Ive looked at the model sevens, but im reall not a huge remington fan. but we will see cuz they are nice.

9. Stormrider

Stormrider Well-Known Member

I'll add something else to look at. I got a Rem 700 youth rifle in 7-08. It's a 20"bbl and I was amazed at how accurate it was out of the box. I haven't had time to do much load development with it yet, but it really likes the 120 Barnes TSX bullet. I think I'll be able to get 2900+ out of it. Of the first 5 bullets I shot 4 were at or under moa.

I'm a lefty so there aren't many choices for small compact rifles for me. This one is a jewel.

10. davewilson

davewilson Well-Known Member

Joel, thanks for posting a picture of that thing. i just love looking at it! touched it off a couple times tonight.

11. Boman

Boman Well-Known Member

My lightweight elk rifle is a custom rem 700 in 340wby. it wears a 24" #2 lilja barrel. it weighs right at 7lbs with a normal 3-10 or 4-12 scope. i wouldn't call it compact but it carries all day long and it is sub moa out to 700 yds resting on a pack or bipod. sounds like you like the smaller calibers but I like the .338 class for elk. You could do a light .338 win mag and be pretty good off. I'm 5 8 as well and don't care for the compact rifles, i can't shoot them well. Good luck

12. shooterpunk2

I do like the larger calibers too, but I just don't know how i would like the recoil of a .338 mag in a light rifle like a tikka. the hardest kicking rifle ive shot is a .30-06 i think. Although I have thought about that because really, i primarily elk hunt.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2008
  13. Stormrider

Stormrider Well-Known Member

I was down in Australia a couple of months ago and one of my buds took me hunting with him. Only rifle available was a 338 WM in a Tikka. I liked it!

14. zjfty9

zjfty9 Active Member

I was looking for a light, compact rifle awhile back. After searching for several months I settled on an Encore. I was unsure about a single-shot rifle at first, but I shoot it really well. Plus you can still get a 24" barrel with rifles overall length at 40". I now have a couple barrels for mine, and use it for almost all of my hunting.