compact load hauler

jrock

Official LRH Sponsor
LRH Sponsor
I don't have much back packing experience so I could use some input on my idea for a daypack/meat hauler. I have a large old external frame that doesn't fit well that I have used to haul out meat but I can't take it into the woods as it gets caught on everything.

I was thinking the Eberlestock X2 or M5 would fit the bill as I'm 5'-9" and 165 lbs. I like how they can compress down but I know they will not haul out much without discomfort. So I started looking into the Mystery Ranch NICE frame as it is a smaller frame system. My thinking here is that it will not get caught on brush. I was planning to get a load lifter extension kit when the need arises for extreme meat hauling. The NICE Crew Cab seams to fit this bill.

If I'm going to drop $500 on a MR pack it should be capable of being a low profile organized daypack and be able to haul 100 lbs of meat with ease.
Or should I stick with the X2 pack as a daypack to haul out a first light load and switch out to the old external frame and save $300 to spend on gas?

I love the crew cab nice and tight to you when hunting and able to open up and handle the biggest loads the only drawback is when heavy the load is off ur back so it can b hard to handle when loading just make sure to keep it tight to the frame otherwise it's a great pack. I've used a lot of packs and the mystery ranch products are as good as it gets in my mind

I hunt the tops on the West coast,but to get to it I have to go through heavy bush my pack is a Mystery ranch NICE Overload 3 Zip BVS, It's the best pack I've owned and is capable of carrying heavy loads and great in tight bush and a plus is that it is a gun carrier!

I grew up on the west coast so I know that brush type well. The NICE longbow looks like the same thing as the Overload 3 but for less. Does the top of the pack compress down below the shoulders? I was afraid it sticks up too much when loaded with a tripod and spotting scope. I was leaning toward the Longbow originally as it has more enclosure than the crew cab but even with the added weight, the crew cab looks like it would be more versatile for hauling out large game bags full of meat or a quarter? Can the Longbow fit a boned buck inside the pack or do you have to strap it in between the bag and the frame like the Crewcab?

I've tried a half dozen over priced packs and nothing has ever come close to the Mystery Ranch Crew Cab. Its a little heavier compared to other packs but when your wearing it you don't even notice the weight at all. The extra weight gives you the most over built pack on the market. There is literally nothing this pack can't haul. Your back will give out before the pack does. What really has me sold on it is the fact that the tie down straps and strap locations are all right where they should be and they are so strong you can actually stand on the pack and put all your weight into the strap to cinch it down tight. I have never had a pack be able to do that. If you want to add some more room buy the day pack lid, worth every penny.

I just bought a Paradox evolution 4800. It's light, compact and is waterproof. Still working with it but looks promising.

You mention the X2.

i just used mine WAY above the Arctic Circle on a week long paddle of the Nigu River for griz and caribou.

I REALLY love this for a day pack and meat hauler. I packed out plenty of caribou meat and antlers across the soft tundra and rock slides to the river with ease. It expands a lot to accommodate various loads and kept them secure and comfortable for the walk across the tussocks.

I've always been a fan of much smaller packs for day hunting, however decided to try this one for such an adventure to carry enough clothing and gear for prolong stocks on land while keeping my gear very dry on the river and in the rain.

Probably not the lightest option, but worked well for a day pack in the 1800 ci range. THe webbing does offer the opportunity to expand capacity by attaching pouches and bags, etc. I avoided this to keep the pack within my intended purpose. A light, larger day pack with good weight hauling expandable capabilities.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.