Coming down for a hunt

padd54

I just won a hunt, thru the Friends of the NRA, with Gary Oakes for a Stag and Ram on the Central South Island.

I will be heading down next year between March and August.

I would appreciate any and all advice regarding the trip and hunt.

Thanks

You shouldn't have any problems, as I imagine it will be on a farm some where. March is autumn, possible snow on the hills but can also be cold. August is the middle of winter, cold but not as cold as America.
Have you got any more details about the hunt?

Stu.

I will be flying into Dunedin.
It is to be on 60,000 private acres for free range animals, no high fences.

I can also go after Thar, Chamois, Fallow Deer and Boars for an additional fee. Also wallaby and wild goats.

This is my first hunt of this type. I have been down in your neck of the woods, Darwin, when I was in the Air Force.

So, do I need to get my rifle rebarreled with a left hand twist? :)

They are sending my info to Gary so I will have to wait for him to contact me to know more about it.

I am looking forward to this.

Ray

Last edited:
You'll find that Darwin is a wee bit different to the central South Island. No need for a left hand twist, but make sure you have good pockets so that that your money doesn't fall out seeing we stand upside down here:D.

Hunting tahr and chamois would be worth the extra fee, especially if you get right up into the mountains. Check out my thread http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f17/bull-tahr-630-yards-pics-video-43002/

Stu.

I saw that thread when you originaly posted it. That is some beautiful country!
My hunt is scheduled for four days, I may extend it depending on expense.
How much would about 20 acres up near the mountains cost?
Any advise on what NOT to bring?

Not sure if you could find many 20 acre blocks up near the mountains, most would be bigger than that, do a search for bayleys NZ, they are one of the bigger real estate companies, but can be pricey, another company is Harcourts.
What not to bring, jandals (flip flops), a pistol or revolver, summer clothing.

Your guide will give really good advice on what to bring. Check them out about long range shooting, they may or may not be keem on it.

Stu.

Kiwi can you think of 60k private acres of free range land in the south island?

Just as long as its not helihunting you will fit in fine:rolleyes:

seems the chopper company they use has helihunting conessionsgun)

Striker, I watched the videos of helihunting, APPALLING! I would never hunt in that manner, it is not even hunting it is culling.

I found my guides website, CSI Hunting - New Zealand Hunting Guides

it appears that a family member runs the helicopter service he uses. They do mostly ag and S&R operations.

If there is any more info you can share I would appreciate it.

What is the deal with Wallaby hunting, are they like hunting praire dogs here? Just go out and blast as many as can in a day? How would they hold up to a 338LM? :)

I would like buy some of you gents a pint if you are in the Dunedin or Christchurch areas. Maybe even go out and do a little hunt or shoot a bit. :)

Ray

Congratulations on winning the hunt. Hopefully you'll post a story about your trip along with pics. Have a safe and enjoyable trip/hunt.

Striker, I watched the videos of helihunting, APPALLING! I would never hunt in that manner, it is not even hunting it is culling.

I found my guides website, CSI Hunting - New Zealand Hunting Guides

it appears that a family member runs the helicopter service he uses. They do mostly ag and S&R operations.

If there is any more info you can share I would appreciate it.

What is the deal with Wallaby hunting, are they like hunting praire dogs here? Just go out and blast as many as can in a day? How would they hold up to a 338LM? :)

I would like buy some of you gents a pint if you are in the Dunedin or Christchurch areas. Maybe even go out and do a little hunt or shoot a bit. :)

Ray

Unfortunately the chopper company has temporay Helli hunting concession permits and a large amount of public land that they can access. for them to have PERMITS theN means they will be very active in the trophy shooting season

Last edited:
Folks ought to boycott that BS. Unforetunately there will be those that will not.

I emailed and asked how he utilized the helicopter. I will let you know how he replies.
I am hoping that he uses them to put down in an area that we will camp and hunt out of.

Is there any way to find out if he is involved that type "hunting"?

If I find out that he is, I will certainly put the word out here and hopefully the NRA will not utilize his services!

I was the high bidder for this hunt at the fundraiser, I sure would hate to lose out on a one in a lifetime trip for me, but I'll be damned if I will hunt with him if the worst is true.

Please do all you can from your end to find out more info and if you can furnish proof I am sure that I can get it shut down from this end.

Perhaps one of you guys would put me up for awhile so that I can wander the hills on my own. :)

Last edited:
Awesome Fishing And Hunting New Zealand. Fishing And Hunting Forum. Where New Zealand and Australian Fisherman & Hunters Have Hung Out Since 1995

I have no proof of the Guide being part of that type of that activitiy but I will ask around if anyone else knows.I would say that he is considering the heli operator he is utilizing.

Id try too put you up(depends on work) but Im way too north for the better hunting in this country.
Join the forum above if you like and ask any questions you like regarding NZ hunting.

Last edited:
You'll find that Darwin is a wee bit different to the central South Island. No need for a left hand twist, but make sure you have good pockets so that that your money doesn't fall out seeing we stand upside down here:D.

Hunting tahr and chamois would be worth the extra fee, especially if you get right up into the mountains. Check out my thread http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f17/bull-tahr-630-yards-pics-video-43002/

Stu.

I'm really keen to hunt NZ too one of these days !!!!! Its not too far for me living in Sydney..

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.