Come on out - It's safe now

ss7mm

Come on out - It\'s safe now

Went out and did some shooting today. But I won't tell you where I shot, I won't tell you how I shot and I **** sure won't tell you what I shot!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gifWe've been nuked and it's no fun. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

All kidding aside, we know where we went and we know how we got there. We know what worked and we know what didn't.

Len brought out the "nuker" and took us back in time, so now it's time to start over and hopefully keep it under control this time.

Bring on the 270 AM's and the prairie dogs!!!!!!!!!!!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Re: Come on out - It\'s safe now

ss7 what happened to the threads that are now missing. I think 2 or more are gone. I was working and when I got back on they were missing.
I kinda figured they would get Nuked soon.
Did they get way out of hand or had Len, Dave,and Ian heard enough impossible's and such??

Well I was gone for a while this evening and I was wondering what happened to all these threads, now I guess I know.

I am hoping that you might tell us how your shooting went SS7mm, maybe now we can keep all conversations civil. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Me and BJ are gonna shoot in the morning before work but there won't be much to tell about since we are just breaking in my 25-06 and his new 300rum.

In a few days I will be posting FULL details about my new 270AM though I can guarantee any critics will only hear kind words from me /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

It does suck having to have those threads put out of their misery but I do understand why, it was going no where.

I hope your shooting went good and maybe in time you will share some of the details with us /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Take it easy
Steve

7RUMloader:

Yeah, it got out of hand and obviously Len had enough and I can't blame him. It had got to the point where it was a real mess so he just trimmed it to a point where he was happy and I can understand that. We've got to remember we're playing with Len's toy on his dime.

Time to start over, do it right and keep it under control.

Thats what I figured.
I'm glad he cleaned it up.
We need to thank him again for not just Nuking us all and saying to heck with it!! Thanks Len!

lerch:

I was only kidding about the shooting today, /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif but I will be doing some more this weekend hopefully.

Keep us posted on the 25-06 progress and absolutely keep us posted on the progress of the two new 270 AM's.

I'm looking forward to some pictures of PD's with 270 holes in them. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

ss7mm,

Well, I see I can still make a post on LRH so I better count my blessings. Yes I agree it got out of hand in several areas. I need to just let those comments fall on deft ears from now on.

It does make a guy a bit gunshy to post any test results that you get. I guess as long as we try to post only what we get from actual range testing we should be alright.

That **** BC topic is a thread killer though. It really causes more problems then its worth at time.

Can;t wait to see your drop results over 1000 yards. And I can't wait to see how those two Oklahoma boys feel about their new rifles!!

Kirby Allen(50)

I will email who ever wants my results with the "Goods" after I receive them from somebody we will call MR. X to protect their Identity /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif I am also going to setup my Chrony at 300 yards and get a FPS reading off the goods. I might even try it at 500 yards and if the wind changes a little and I smoke the Chrony then I am sure you guys will donate some $ for a new chrony. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif J/K I just hope the "Goods" land on point and not sideways in my 9 1/4 twist. I do not have a very fast Factory barrel on my 7mm Stw Sendero. I can shoot 175 Sierra's at 3150 FPS with top loads and good accuracy I should be able to get around 3000fps with the "Goods" that I hope are on the way.

Dakor, i know a guy that made a 1" thick template that covered his skyscreens and equipement for shooting through at long ranges.he even had some catch the edge of the cutouts, but never had any damage.he used 2 step ladders to hold the thing.it wasn't exactly a one handed project to install!

I'm not sure what all I missed but it must have been bad. I sure hope it doesn't become "taboo" to discuss BC's here. They are sort of important for Long Range Hunting, and very interesting (at least I think so). If we can't discuss them here I guess we'll just need to ignore all the "use a round nose and get closer you unethical loser!" replies on other boards. Anyway....

[ QUOTE ]
I am also going to setup my Chrony at 300 yards and get a FPS reading off the goods.

[/ QUOTE ]
I think that's really the best way for those without fancy equipment. Much more accurate than measuring drop at reasonable ranges and it doesn't need to be done that far away.

Even at just 200 yds, even really high-BC bullets will lose more than 200 fps. A load with a nice low SD can give you good numbers at each range even using one chonograph at a time. Long before any difference in drop even becomes measurable, you'll see a huge difference in velocity even at only 200 yds. Of course, 300 or 400 is all the better and will be even more accurate. That becomes difficult when testing diffferent bullets with different POI's though. And you should always test more than one bullet each test--so you have some sort of standard or measuring stick (control) to compare against the bullet you're interested in that will let you know if there's something phunky with the numbers.

Anyway, it's lots of fun. Good luck with it. Reading the huge differences in velocity from BC to BC directly off your chronograph makes it seem a lot more "real" than looking at a ballistics chart.

[ QUOTE ]
Thats what I figured.
I'm glad he cleaned it up.
We need to thank him again for not just Nuking us all and saying to heck with it!! Thanks Len!

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree completely. Heck i got caught up with it myself, and wasn't even a part of it. I told myself long ago to just back away from the computer when i got emotional about something, BUT-- well it was a lesson learned for me. Nuff said.

By the way Dakor, wasn't that u that needed some 200's-- send me an e-mail with address @ [email protected] please.

If you're going to do it right, do it right. If you only use one chrono, you have to do all the statistics (not difficult but you need a lot of shooting unless you have an exceptionally low SD). Cheaper to borrow another chrono, then you can get away with 5% as much shooting.

Abinok told me how to put the 2nd Chrony at range - just put a steel plate in front of it (with the center cut out). When you hit the plate or at least don't go thru the hoops, you don't get the 2nd reading.

Also, GoodGrouper is right about Chronys. My <font color="purple"> </font> SHOOTING CHRONY is now referred by it's real name <font color="purple"> </font> SHOOTING CRUMMY CHRONY - so unless you have a good Chrony, you still need to do some statistics.

I'll have to vote agains the majority and say 1st amendment haters suck. It's great when the strong man has your opinion. The big mouth (BM) added nothing to question on BC. He had no new questions (Abinok asked the same question over a month ago). BM was making outrageous statements and couldn't answer the simple question I posed. But it sets a dangerous president.

It shouldn't be a problem for people to post their findings in the field. It's POTENTIALLY the best data. I comb all forums looking for just that bit of the puzzle. Validation.

A person offering data should not be attacked, and would hopefully be prepaired to offer details without offense.
If this forum were not hostile with conspiracy theories, or prejudices, then ambiguities could be cleared for everyone. This, instead of the thread blowing up in a mushroom cloud.

With all the great shooters, software, and equipment represented here, I'm sure deriving data like useful BC is not a big challenge. But methodical-constructive inquiry's will be needed. Nothing personal.

b1g_b0re I have a PACT PC2 and my Dad has a PACT Professional. I also have a Chrony but that will not be used. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif Problem with using 2 different chronograph's is you are not going to get the EXACT reading off them even if it is the same kind they all differ a little bit. I have to work some loads up anyway so I will chronograph then and if the "goods" can stabilize in my 9 1/4 twist then I will chronograph them at 300 yards and maybe 500 yards. I will have to try round up some 1 inch plate and make that blocker you guys mentioned that is a good idea. If my rifle can shoot them I am going to test them on 3 different days under different conditions and I will even write down where the earths rotation around the sun was at the time I tested them. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif But I am sure someone will shoot holes through my data. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.