Colorado gmu 34 otc?

HOCOMO Hunter

My brother in law and I are planning on an elk hunt 2018. We are trying to decide on an otc unit. We like all the wilderness in unit 34 but aren't familiar with the area. He is planning a trip in a couple of weeks to scout it out. Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

The Flattops are pretty flat... on top. Lots of areas with little road access. If you don't have a jeep or ATV you can take the coffeepot road out of Dotsero and get to the heart of the flattops. The wilderness area is north of there past Heart Lake. Anywhere other than the West Elk Creek route or the Coffeepot route should be done by jeep or ATV. A pickup set up for offroad will suffice as well. Plenty of hunters up there, so the further you can get from the roads the better your chances. This is all from the Glenwood to Rifle area. I don't know anything about what you'll find from the Steamboat side.

The Flattops are pretty flat... on top. Lots of areas with little road access. If you don't have a jeep or ATV you can take the coffeepot road out of Dotsero and get to the heart of the flattops. The wilderness area is north of there past Heart Lake. Anywhere other than the West Elk Creek route or the Coffeepot route should be done by jeep or ATV. A pickup set up for offroad will suffice as well. Plenty of hunters up there, so the further you can get from the roads the better your chances. This is all from the Glenwood to Rifle area. I don't know anything about what you'll find from the Steamboat side.
Thanks COBrad. We will have an atv and 4x4 truck. We planned on packing in 3 or 4 miles then set up a camp and hunt from there.

HOCOMO Hunter, I was looking into the same information but for this fall. I haven't been out that way but from the looks of it elevation is in the 7-11000 foot range with some pretty steep terrain so be ready for some heavy breathing. Not sure what you are using as far as electronic scouting but I've been using caltopo.com for all of my Colorado hiking and hunt scouting. Good luck.

HOCOMO Hunter, I was looking into the same information but for this fall. I haven't been out that way but from the looks of it elevation is in the 7-11000 foot range with some pretty steep terrain so be ready for some heavy breathing. Not sure what you are using as far as electronic scouting but I've been using caltopo.com for all of my Colorado hiking and hunt scouting. Good luck.
Thanks. I've been using google maps and all trails to get most of my visual info. I'll checkout caltopo. This is our first western big game hunt so we are trying to prepare as much as possible.

My brother in law and I are planning on an elk hunt 2018. We are trying to decide on an otc unit. We like all the wilderness in unit 34 but aren't familiar with the area. He is planning a trip in a couple of weeks to scout it out. Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Far as I know there is no Wilderness in unit 34 also no OTC archery tags for the Flattops. Unit 34 is OTC tag. If you have 2017 Big Game go to page 38 and top of page list Draw for archery, look at unit 23. Those two draw are the Flattop and the draw that has unit 12 has biggest part of the Flattops. Page 34/35 you see unit 12,23,24,33 list as no OTC cow tag or either sex but those units are valid,Private Land Only. You can look at stats both tags see if pts are need to draw.

You have Holy Cross Wilderness that across 70 unit 44,45,444 that is OTC archery. Are you sure your not post about that Wildness and it's good unit.

IMG_0309.PNG
IMG_0308.PNG

Am I reading this wrong?
Unit 34 has no wilderness. The green that they show is part of the White River National Forest which also include Flattop but it's not in unit 34. The map that show those lake in green you can drive to them and camp there. I just trying to help out as I also archery hunt and I be hunt entire season or till I get a bull. I live here so know where the Flattop are.

Unit 34 has no wilderness. The green that they show is part of the White River National Forest which also include Flattop but it's not in unit 34. The map that show those lake in green you can drive to them and camp there. I just trying to help out as I also archery hunt and I be hunt entire season or till I get a bull. I live here so know where the Flattop are.
You can hunt the nat. Forrest right? Thanks for all the help I really do appreciate it. I need and will take all I can get.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.