Colorado Consulation prize...long story

Dan B

Well...not sure what to say. Disappointment is the first thing that comes to mind. Today was supposed to be my day to come home from a DIY elk hunt w/ my friend JD...we used my uncle's horses and camper. I've done this twice before w/ great success using archery equipment and a rifle.

Travel was done in record time...Armagh, PA to Silt, CO was completed in 24.5 hours! The return trip took one hour longer but still GREAT time.

The plan was to hunt from Saturday (opening day of third season) until we were tagged out or our bodies could not take it any longer. The terrain in the area we were hunting is SUPER wicked.

First day at camp (Friday) had us saddling the horses and taking a cruise up the trail to see what the snow situation was like in the high country. We camped at 7800' but were hunting in 9000' to over 10,000'. Snow cover was sparse...south slopes only...and temps for the week were supposed to be in the 50's (day) and 30's (night)...way too warm for the area we were hunting.

Anyhoo...somehow on this first day at camp I managed to smash my right thumb pretty good. It swelled to twice the size of the left thumb and was pretty much unuseable. Ouchy #1!

First day...saw lots of elk early but could not close distance before they made their way to the mountain tops and out of our reach. Other than that this day was pretty much done.

Second day (and final day...you'll read why in a minute)...up at 3AM, saddled horses and just about ready to head up the mountain when my uncle's horse (Angel) spooks (w/o him on it) and steps off a shear enbankment, pinning herself between a scrub oak tree and the bank...oh...forgot to mention she was UPSIDE DOWN w/ the saddle against the tree and her feet up the hill!! JD and I pulled the halter rope w/ all we had to get her head around while she struggled to right herself and Uncle was pushing from below. She quickly righted her front legs and the back soon followed but the enbankment was too steep for traction and she slid another 25' down the hill onto a trail area. The real kicker is that it was dark and JD and I could not see her rear come around and her slipping...so when that happen we were still grasping the rope w/ all we had...this means that when Angel went down the hill, so did we!! JD smashed head first into a rock while I encountered a tree w/ my head and rock on my left shoulder. Not a good way to start the day!

After getting Angel righted, Uncle proceeded to go deer hunting while JD and I attempted to bag an elk. JD mounted his ride w/o a problem while my ride (Hank...but who I now effectionately refer to as Skank!) was giving me a fit. Once I got aboard he tried to buck me off twice but I got his head up and ended the fight.

Up the mountain we go was before daylight, spot elk and still could not close the distance fast enough. So about lunch time we go back to the rides and plan on ending the day early to recoop from the exhaustive hiking of the day before and that morning.

Again JD gets aboard his ride w/o fault while Peckerhead (oops...Skank...errr...Hank) was still being difficult. I let him graze a little while and tried again. I got one foot in the stirrup and the other just over the saddle when we jumped forward, tossing me onto his arse, he jumped twice and kicked me off.

Now pause a second...230# man, 15# pack, full hunting garb and a $1800 full custom XP-100 get tossed into the air. The only outcome...well...let's just say it was not good but could have been MUCH worse.

I landed on my left scapula (gun was on the right side) and missed a medium size log by mere inches w/ my shoulder and head. Knocked the wind from me but I managed to loose a long stream of cussing that was total directed at Hank. After several moments to gain my breath (and feet) I assessed the situation to conclude that I could walk off the mountain (minimum three mile walk) eventhough I had a sharp pain in my upper left back area and a semi banged up knee. If it would not have been for the saddle needing to get off the mountain, I would have loosed a 160gr Nosler AB into Hank's head.

JD and I (and the horses) made it back to camp, decided to cut our losses and called Uncle to come gather his horses. We packed camp while waiting for Uncle, spent the night at his house and left on Monday AM.

The only good part of the trip...on day two I pulled the trigger on my APS XP-100 7mm-270WSM. After the elk were long gone I pulled out the Leica 1200 and lasered a rock at 429yds. I assessed the slight down hill angle, wind conditions, chose the correct stadia in the Burris scope and squeezed the trigger. Just as I squeezed, the wind shifted from a 12 o'clock requiring no correction to 11 o'clock requiring a correction hold of 3-4" into the wind. I realized this just as it went bang...and my bullet landed 3" to the right. I missed the mark but mentally called the miss before JD spotted the bullet splash. That felt good.

Anyhow...the Dr's visit upon returning home concluded that I had eight dislocated ribs and a sprain knee. Getting the ribs back in place felt about like getting thrown from Hank again...but I know feel much better and the treatment prescribed was heat for the back, easy walking on the knee, Ibuprofen as needed...and fall turkey hunting (OK...I added that).

So this AM I headed for my favorite turkey spot with the APS XP-100. Round about 8AM two large toms made their way along the woods edge but did not hang aroung long. Then the hens started pouring into the field. I picked a group of four, ranged them at 396 yards and got on the gun. As soon as one broke from the group and turned directly at me (head down feeding), I gave the correct hold (no windage was needed) and loosed a 162gr A-Max.

It's not a 340" bull elk but here's the results.

100_0722-1.jpg

The bullet entered the top of the chest and exited out the pooper (about a 4" hole). Breasts will be good on the grill tonight!

Dan,
I feel your pain. My back is still gibbled from falling off a horse and sliding down a mountain several weeks ago. Have decided they are necessary evils for some types of hunts. Been involved with horses like you described - they should be classed as walk-in bear bait.

Great deal on the turkey kill, takes some guts to go hunting after taking the beating you did during the elk hunt. Hope you heal up real fast.

Sorry about everything, except a congrats on the turk.
You're even smiling /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
Maybe Kirby can follow your lead, on the smiling part that is.

Dan B,

I hope you don't mind that I thoroughly enjoyed your story much at your painful expense.

A couple of buddies and I are planning on renting some horses for a WY elk hunt next season. We have never done this before, always just hiked in and bitched the whole way up. My buddies think that horses will make this an easy proposition.

I will have to send them your story to warn them that there are consequences to hunting with horses.

By the way, Hell of shot on the turkey!

Take care,
Vic

I grew up riding horses and showing horses, and you couldn't pay me to ride a borrowed horse in situations where my life would depend on them. Give me an off-road motorcycle any day. The downer being that there are access issues w/ motorized vehicles, but there are definitely times I would rather walk than trust a strange horse. Sure you can train them well, but they're still just domesticated animals with independent thought and unique personalities. It's all good until a plastic bag flapping on a barbed wire fence makes them jumpy. [/list]

Dan,

Thanks for sharing your experiences with Hank. I often leave comments for those whom hunt with their parents or their kids how they will always remember their hunt; well I guess horses can leave lasting memories as well. I am sorry for the bad turn of events; a ruined trip is no laughing matter; but your story is very well written, and adds a lighthearted tone to a ill fated trip. I'm glad you recovered well enough to put the lights out on that gobbler. Nice shooting! Better luck with your future equine encounters
Dave

**** , err....dang Dan .

That was a eyeopener of a hunt . I don't mean anything bad by this question just simply inquiring . " Do you guys hunt off horeseback regular ?

I am mostly glad you all are alive and kicking!! You were blessed to not have any more terrible probs.

Jim B.

This is why alot of guides use mules , I'd much rather ride an old mule that a horse that I don't know.
I had to make a "twitch" once and have a heart to heart with a guides horse once , the guide wasen't happy but when I informed him that it was either him or the horse he kept quiet. The horse behaved himself the rest of the trip and the guide was amazed.
I still like mules , never had any trouble with one and their a hell of alot more sure footed and smarter than a horse.

Though I like 'em a lot.......Horses are make the precise shape for a dog food can. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Mine bounced me (years ago) out of the saddle and back to her tail. The next buck saw me sitting a bit below her tail as the rear feet came up. I was looking way down on the junipers from above. Landed on my feet. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Rifle was in the scabbard and left with the horse. While looking for both I came across the best 4X4 I saw that year. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

jimm...I only hunt from horses every couple of years but these steeds are hunted from quite a bit and I'm the only person that borrows them.

[ QUOTE ]
This is why alot of guides use mules , I'd much rather ride an old mule that a horse that I don't know.
I had to make a "twitch" once and have a heart to heart with a guides horse once , the guide wasen't happy but when I informed him that it was either him or the horse he kept quiet. The horse behaved himself the rest of the trip and the guide was amazed.
I still like mules , never had any trouble with one and their a hell of alot more sure footed and smarter than a horse.

[/ QUOTE ]

JD...Skank actually is (I would like to say WAS) a mule. When I wrote the story I did not think to differentiate. He was good on his feet...just a little "off" in the brain.

[ QUOTE ]
......but your story is very well written, and adds a lighthearted tone to a ill fated trip......

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks.......I try.

Great story, hunting with horses has been a dream of mine and maybe I might reconsider that. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif Considering I've never been on a horse, I guess I better stay on my own two feet.
Good shooting with the XP and I like the camo job too. We have to use shotguns here in WI for any bird even crows, maybe someday....

Mike

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.