Colorado bear hunting...where to start

lazylabs

I would really like to archery hunt for bear in CO next year. It seems areas 78,42 and 15 have the best success rates but I can't find much info other than guided hunts. If anyone has info to share I would be greatful. Thanks

Since baiting for bears is Illegal in Colorado, trying to kill one with a bow is quite an undertaking. If you are serious about trying to do that you're probably going to have to do some serious scouting for some natural bait sources that are being hit regularly such as dumps, campgrounds, apple groves etc. Honestly I'd steer you toward forgetting about flickin' sticks at them in CO., you're just really stacking the deck against yourself.

Now Now Devildoc, I have killed two bears in Co. with pointy sticks. One was over a gut pile from an elk I had killed, and one over a dead steer we found on another elk hunt. As long as you DO NOT move a food source it is not considered "Baiting". I have also called bears in, in Co. and NM, only got a shot at one. That was on Co., huge boar, got so rattled I missed the whole bear at 18 yds.

Hear is a link to Google with a lot of potential help. I would also spend some time on the phone, find out who the Bear Bioligist is for the units you are interested in, call and talk to him/her ( got to be PC) most of the folks at the Col DOW are quite helpful. Since baiting and dogs have been banned the Co bear population has skyrocketed, and so have compaints to the DOW about bears.

Good Luck
Dave

bear calling - Google Search

In three years archery hunting elk in Colorado, I have twice bumped bears in archery range. One a youngster, the other a huge boar. We see an amazing amount of bear sign! Never seen the like. That said, it would be a tough hunt with slim odds. Two sightings in three years is not very encouraging. But, we weren't hunting them.

No bait and no dogs? What the hell? Sounds like too many granolas moved in.

Wish I had something helpful.

Thanks guys! I ordered the carlton video on calling I figure I have a couple months to kill.... I will have to hunt in an area that allows over the counter archery for elk since that is the only way you can hunt bear. I still don't understand why you have to buy a bear tag as a secondary tag.....sucks.

Thanks

Dirtball, you pretty much confirmed what I said, you found a "natural" baitsource and hunted it. Would you say that it is an easy or likely occurance to find a good natural bait like a gutpile or dead steer in your hunting area? I've had bear come in to a faun in distress call a couple times too, but they never got anywhere near bow range. They always come in down wind and it's darn hard to have a bear not smell you untill 30-40yds when they're comin' in down wind, both I've seen come into calls winded us at well over 100yds. Granted we weren't using any scent control, but still a bear has the best nose in the woods. Congratulations on your Bears, that's a heck of a trophy in CO with a bow! But I think it's irresponsible to tell someone that they have a good chance of success hunting here with a bow. Sure it can be done, but it takes a whole lotta luck.

But I think it's irresponsible to tell someone that they have a good chance of success hunting here with a bow. Sure it can be done, but it takes a whole lotta luck.[/QUOTE]

I don't believe I said anything about it being easy, There is nothing easy about hunting any animal with a bow, that is what makes it so **** much fun. Any body can kill an animal with a good rifle any a little practice from 50 to 250 yds. But to limit your self to over 500 with a rifle or under 30 with a bow, now that makes it interesting. Yes going to Colorado to hunt bear with a bow may be a fools mission, but that is what some of my friends have told me about hunting elk with a bow. But I still keep going back, and I enjoy every minute of it.
Dave

The good news is that I live in denver so I can make several scouting and practice calling trips before the season. I am hoping to get out in the spring and try the calling. If I can find some in the spring and try and follow thier migration through the summer I might have a chance for the fall. We won't get the huge bears here that they get in Canada but a CO bear with a bow will be at least as impressive. The baiting issue is certainly a double edged sword... it makes it easier but does it make it too easy?

With a bow, on Colorado bears, heck no it wouldn't make it too easy. You've just been watchin' all those T.V. Shows filmed in Canada and Alaska where 3 bears will come into a bait with a guy sittin' 20yds from them. CO Bears do not do that. I've seen gut piles sit for a week in bear country and not be touched cause they have human scent on em'. Then see a animal that was wounded and died without being recovered not make it 6 hours. Our bears are a heck of a lot spookier, unless you're talking town bears.

Find a stinky garbage can in Aspen or Glenwood springs, slam dunk.

I hunted mule deer just north of Glenwood this fall, I seen 4 bears in 6 days.
Don't usually see that many but with food scarce in other areas, this spot was crawling with them.

One fellow in a nieghboring camp shot a bull quartered it and went in the next day with 4 guys to get it out. A boar was on the carcass with a sow and 2 cubs waiting in thew distance. 10 in the morning, the boar never left as they packed up the quarters, just stood 30 yards away popping .

I seen a bear cross the ridge in front of me 70 yards away. Heard ravens squaking about a quarter away. Went to investigate and found another bear on a carcass. Chased the bear off and here he was chewing on a mule deer. I asumed someone had hit it with a Muzzle loader a couple days before and didn't find it. Well I salvaged the rack. Nontyp score was 192" Typ score was 173". Some poor bastard had to be just sick with himself.

Lazylabs, if you have a 4 wheeler and don't mind the 4 hour trip to Paonia I can put you in some good bear country if they spring frosts don't kill off the acorns and the berry crop. Our group has seen and or taken some bears in the 500-600 lb range and one even bigger. Pick up a BLM map of area 53 and I can get you set up to scout if you would like. Dave

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.