Colorado 3rd Rifle Season

BH107

Leaving in 1 week for 10 days in Colorado and I can't wait! It's been 3 years since we were drawn for tags. The weather is looking perfect, and a new moon the first day of the hunt.

I'm going to put a few more rounds through my new Savage 112 BVSS in .300 Win Mag this week, then I'll be ready to go. The next seven days are going to go by so slow.

I'll update when we get back.

Good luck and what area are you going in?

Southwest...Cortez area. I am the 3rd generation of hunter over a 40+ year span to make the trip up there, and my first time was 14 years ago. My grandfather started the tradition, and then included my dad when he married my mother. Unfortunately I never had the chance to hunt with my grandfather, but I love hunting with my dad and hopefully I'll get to do it for years to come!

Sweet man. I live in Hesperus (between Cortez and Durango) We had three days of nasty weather that should have pushed a lot of the big boys down to lower ground. Good luck, there are some monsters over in that area. Post pics if you get something!

We have definitely been seeing more quality deer since the DOW started limiting tags. It isn't fun havign to wait 4 years to get a tag, but there are also less hunters. Hopefully this year I can get on something big, but meat in the freezer is always good.

This deer was taken 5 years ago by my great uncle on his last hunting trip. He scored 166 with only 3" of deductions. He's only 21" wide, but I would take him any day.
DSC00374.jpg

DSC00375.jpg

My dad has one on the wall from 7 years ago that is his biggest as well, shot in the exact same spot. He didn't score as well because of being a 3-4 and having a very weak G5 on the one side, but it was still 27.5" wide at the G3.

I'm going to be right there with you. I drew a 3rd season tag for western CO. I can't wait to see some deer. It should really be a good year to take some big bucks.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.