Cold weather contraction?

fireworks

I had a problem on a recent deer hunt. I had two cartridges seperate from the bullet when opening the bolt, thus spilling powder and leaving the bullet in the barrel. These loads are set .020 off the rifling and are even lightly crimped. I checked all my shells with my caliper and they are correct. The temperature during the hunt was quite cold, around 20 degrees. Metals contract when cold. Could this be caused by temperature? I never had this problem with this load when warmer. Berger VLD by the way....

You've got interference earlier than you thought you did. New box of bullets possibly?? The oal may be the same but the ogive may be different if a different pointing die was used. Back 'em up a bit and you'll be fine.

I shoot to twenty below zero here and I've never had that issue even with my 300 win at .010 off the lands. Unlikely it's metal contraction as the ammo does to,although steel and copper have slightly different expansion coefficients. 7.3 for steel and 9 for copper (9.3 for cupronickel).

+1 on Lefty's response...Another scenario could have been an issue with moisture and the freezing temps.....I have never pulled a bullet with ice but have had them freeze tight in the chamber (probably water from snow when loading)...Of course temps may have been much lower we often hunt in minus zero F.....

keep us posted,
Randy

You've got interference earlier than you thought you did. New box of bullets possibly?? The oal may be the same but the ogive may be different if a different pointing die was used. Back 'em up a bit and you'll be fine.

I shoot to twenty below zero here and I've never had that issue even with my 300 win at .010 off the lands. Unlikely it's metal contraction as the ammo does to,although steel and copper have slightly different expansion coefficients. 7.3 for steel and 9 for copper (9.3 for cupronickel).

+1 I also find myself out hunting in -20 degrees with my bullets also seated .020" off the land and have never had a bullet pull out. I've had the action freeze due to snow off of trees but that is easily remedied when you squeeze off on that big ol elk :D

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.