cold bore is killing me

I have/had the same problem and posted about it. Check out this thread for more good suggestions.

http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f28/cold-bore-flier-problem-help-me-get-rid-62460/#post434203

Hunting season is in full swing so I haven't had a chance to do any more experimenting. However, my hunting load this season doesn't have the problem and everything is the same (bullet, powder, primer, case) except the amount of powder. Also I cleaned and fouled the barrel since it had been about 50 rds since the last cleaning when I developed the problem.

Good luck, hope you figure it out.

If you can't figure it out then try a separate load for that first shot and color code your bullets!

If your assumption is correct that the first shot is faster then make a reduced load for your first shot. Take a magic marker and "paint" these bullets so they stand out.
Regular bullets in the magazine and color down the tube.

edge.

If it's consistant, which I bet it is, just keep good records. Record every cold bore shot on a grid and see what kind of group you are getting. If it's shooting well just learn to adjust for it. The key is good record keeping.

I've never had a gun do this with a free floated barrel.
I don't believe it's increased MV, The difference in velocity would be significant to change the impact point that much. But you can prove that with a Crony if you've got one. I would try dry firing a couple times before starting your group, that warms up the shooter as well everything that happens between the trigger and the primer. If that cures it, its either you, or some part of the firing system that is allowing you to move before the rifle goes off the first time.

I had a 338edge do the same thing i had cleaned the barrel. But i guess i hadn't got it really clean. i was talking to a guy and he told me to clean it really good so i came home and cleaned the hell out of it and guess what it fixed it. i would clean it better than you think you need to and see what happens good luck

hey all...I cleaned the crap out of the barrel last night, checked the action screws, made sure he barrel was well freefloated, and cleaned the crown real well...i loaded up twodifferent hunting loads that have worked well for me in my other 06, and a new load using the very highly regarded Varget...im going to shoot today and tomorrow, just to see where these are all going to group...my gut instinct tell me the h4895 is gonna be the best load, maily because i just ran out of it and i got 8lbs of varget in..lol...ill let you guys know how it turns out...and yes, dry fire practice on the bench, shoot a different rifle first, and use a rest....anything else im forgeting before i go?

Your going to do all that at once, your problem will go away, and you'll have no idea what fixed it. :D Good luck!

Your going to do all that at once, your problem will go away, and you'll have no idea what fixed it. :D Good luck!

+1 Figure out a way to test so you can find the cause. It may be too late if you messed with the stock/bedding and did a thorough clean job though. I would shoot the rounds that have been giving you issues and see if the work you did on your gun hasn't fixed the problem. Don't change anything else. Then change your rest if you were planning on doing that. If nothing then go to your new loads and check those.

great suggestion, and once hunting season is over and i have more time, one that ill follow, but right now, i have 3 days till gun season kicks off...and even 2 inches high cold bore, here in kentucky, where shot are generally limited to 100-150 yards, 2 inches is pretty negligible...after season ends, im gonna bed it and start all over again anyways...hopefully, cleaning it fixed it..lol..

back from the range today and what an improvement a little torque on the front action screw will accomplish...best group was 3/4 inch fro 49.5 gr of Varget, pushing a 150 gr Sierra BT Spitzer Gameking...and although ths wasnt the coldbore group, the first three rounds from that group was .96...that was with 48 gr of Varget...
loadpic.jpg

I just recorded this cold bore faster phenomenon thing for the first time myself. Wife just bought me a chrono. :D

30-06, stock sporter 22.5" barrel
210 Berger Hunting VLDs
55g Reloader 17
.01" jump to lands
70*, 18% RH

1- 2768
2- 2748
3- 2711
4- 2702
5- 2709
6- 2706
7- 2703
8- 2708

Single digit ES once I got past the first two...:cool:

On a side note, 55g with the 208 AMAX shot under MOA at 200 meters, but it appears 56g might be closer to .6- .7 range. Gonna find the node soon. Guys are seeing pressure at 57g, so I went from 52 up to 56. I'm going to work up now in .2g increments from 55 up to 56.6 or so to find that node.

I just recorded this cold bore faster phenomenon thing for the first time myself. Wife just bought me a chrono. :D

30-06, stock sporter 22.5" barrel
210 Berger Hunting VLDs
55g Reloader 17
.01" jump to lands
70*, 18% RH

1- 2768
2- 2748
3- 2711
4- 2702
5- 2709
6- 2706
7- 2703
8- 2708

Single digit ES once I got past the first two...:cool:

On a side note, 55g with the 208 AMAX shot under MOA at 200 meters, but it appears 56g might be closer to .6- .7 range. Gonna find the node soon. Guys are seeing pressure at 57g, so I went from 52 up to 56. I'm going to work up now in .2g increments from 55 up to 56.6 or so to find that node.

Was this string from a clean bore or a fouled bore?

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.