Cocking TAC-15

Winger84

Greetings.
I have a question for all you experienced TAC-15 shooters. I am new to crossbow shooting. I got me a TAC-15 which I plan to use for hunting this coming deer season. Since I have never used a crossbow for hunting, I was wondering if you wait to see your desired target before you cock the crossbow or do you cock it, and wait for the target to show up. If you cock it, how long can you keep it cocked before you have to release the tension? Thanks

I always cock the crossbow immediately after I get into my tree-stand (or in the ground blind.)

It stays cocked until I'm ready to stop hunting.
The Tac15 can be let-down without firing it.
Note: This is accomplished without pulling the trigger.
The DvD video that comes with it shows you how. It's pretty easy.

I have never left it cocked for more than 4 hours, and don't know what the upper time limit is.

Hi Winger84,
Twanger is totally correct in his advice on when and how to cock your crossbow.

The TAC15/15i has no real upper limit on how long you can leave it at full draw. Technically, it can be left in a full draw position for well over a dozen hours or more, but for safety reasons it's a good idea to practice the loading and unloading sequence often, so when you're in the woods, in a treestand, it can be accomplished with no glitches.

Many of us have found that in order to get the unloading sequence started, it often takes a few rocks of the crank handle with a slight upward pressure applied to the cable sled in order to get the crossbows string to move out of the fully loaded slot it sits in. This becomes easier with a little practice, but keep in mind the TAC15 is the only crossbow that I'm aware of that can be cranked back down to an unloaded position, so it's a great feature when hunting.

Regards,

Jon

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.