COAL Question

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by Doug in Alaska, Aug 18, 2009.

1. Doug in Alaska

Doug in Alaska Well-Known Member

My overall length in a particular caliber, using a particular bullet is limited because of magazine length. This is a hunting round. Do any of you guys know how much shorter than magazine length is recommended for good feeding? I hate to load the round too long and find out about it in the field.

2. boomtube

boomtube Well-Known Member

"Do any of you guys know how much shorter than magazine length is recommended for good feeding? "

There is no such "recommendation", you will have to find it yourself.

Make 2-3 dummy rounds longer than will enter the magazine. Seat them deeper until they will fit, see if they will feed & chamber. If not, move them deeper until they do.

Develop your loads at that OAL.

3. Doug in Alaska

Doug in Alaska Well-Known Member

I guess that's kind of what I figured. Will do, thanks.

4. azsugarbear

azsugarbear Well-Known Member

Don't forget to test the rounds before actually loading up a whole bunch of them. Just because they fit in the mag doesn't mean they will function down range. If your rifle has substantial recoil, the rounds in your mag just might move forward enough in the mag to damage their tips. These rounds will still chamber and fire, but you may find your accuracy falling off due to deformed tips. Always check your final chosen COAL through live fire testing.