COAL from lands ? for a 300wm berger 210's

isu600rr

OK so here's my problem, I'm new to Accurate re-loading other that just putting some rounds together and I'm trying to squeeze all the accuracy out of my savage 300 wm fcp-k
So I'm trying to find out how close my bullets are to the lands, so I'm trying to use a fired case with a Berger 210 vdl and placing them into the chamber and also some re sized cases just so I would have some tighter necks. The numbers I'm getting w the Berger 210s are 3.597 - 3.672 -3.633- 3.639 as you can see I'm all over the board w my numbers.
Am I doing this right?> any tips?

There are some good tools available but the only one I have experience with and use is the RCBS Precision Mic. Whatever you use it will take practice to get it right. When you finally do the numbers will be consistent.

Measure for accuracy at the ogive not to the tip

Try spliting a case neck. Dremal tool, even a hack saw would work. You want just enough tension to hold the bullet from falling in or out, but working semi freely. Extend the bullet out and chamber it. With your cleaning rod entering the muzzle end, lightly push the cartridge back out. Do this 3 or 4 times to make sure your numbers are close. Once your satisfied you can start tweeking your bullet seating depth by marking the bullet with a marker or smoking it with a candle until you don't see any marks from the lands. Reassure yourself a few times, that you are up to, but not touching the lands. That's the number I want to work with. This is a measurement to the o-give only for that particular bullet. You will have to do this again if you switch bullet's.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.