Co unit 62

Thanks Jack, nothing like hearing from someone that lives there. I hunted 3rd season last year camped at 9300 west face of Grand Mesa, what a nightmare.
Mike

Mike, My sons and I are hunting along the Utah border this year. We start in Sept for bear and then the first rifle only draw season for elk -if we draw. If not, an over the counter bull tag and maybe a left over cow tag for the last season. We have some freezers looking cavernous at the moment. No deer this year while I save preference points for a big mulie area -someday if I live long enough )

Good luck with your hunt, you will be in one of the top areas around this part of the world. The Grand Mesa is nice but the Uncompadre is everything, alpine to high desert/canyon country. Bring the best optics....

Oh, and don't forget to look down. One of my sons found an arrowhead up there in perfect condition. It is made out of marbled mahogany obsidian, the closest source of that is eastern California I think. Lots of Ute Indians summered and hunted the Unc and at least one traveled or traded long distances. Of course, no one saw any elk after that.

Many thanks, i just talked to my buddy that is in the leader of the group. He told me our cabin we are renting is on the Divide rd.18 miles south of 141. Does any of this sound familar?
Mike

Never been to the junction, hunted 2 years with an outfitter in the delta area around cedaredge, hotchkiss on a private ranch. He lost his lease due to owner sold property very nice ranch. Last season he took us to the west face of the grand mesa at 9300. It was disastorus for me i got sick and lost my hunt. Hunted 45 minutes., it was 3rd season 4.5 miles back in on Porter and bronco first morning we got 2' of snow there was already 8" prior. Temps went to single digits tent life sucked. I came out on 3rd day and flew home early. My buddy put this years deal togeather for the cabin and do it ourselves. Im going over to his shop and look at some maps and touch base with you on it. Thanks for all of your help.
Mike

Lots of tips on glassing the canyons lookiny fot the elk going down. Would a good compact spotting scope around a 16-48 , 15-30 be enough

I took my largest bull out of unit 62 in 2000. He grossed 364. The next year a fellow from Kansas took a bull that grossed 369 in the same vicinity. My advice is to hunt the pinyons and cedar. You won't see many elk in these areas. As said, get high on a ridge and glass the canyons below. The nastier the canyon the better. The 4 elk I have taken in the unit were all in excess of 350 yards. The longest 415, so again good advice, have a good long range combo your comfortable with. All of my bulls were taken 1 st rifle season. Good luck!

Lots of tips on glassing the canyons lookiny fot the elk going down. Would a good compact spotting scope around a 16-48 , 15-30 be enough

Plenty of power but does it have low light capabilities. The value comes in when you look across a canyon into the shadows and count tines...:cool:

Jack

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.